• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New comp background is transparent even though I chose black

New Here ,
Aug 17, 2018 Aug 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got back on After Effects after being off for awhile. When I start a new comp and choose black background, it gives me a transparent background. Did I accidentally change a preference or setting? Has anybody else had this happen?

Thanks for any help I can get.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Aug 18, 2018 Aug 18, 2018

The marked switch is probably on (blue) at the bottom of your Composition window. Click it to turn it off (grey).

TransparencySwitch.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2018 Aug 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The comp background is always transparent. You can choose any background color you want but if you don't put some pixels there the bg will be black when played on most media players with most professional codecs. If you are seeing a checkerboard then you have a switch thrown in the Comp Panel. If the problem pops up when you render then you have to either put a colored background at the bottom of the timeline or render without an alpha, which will give you a black background with most codecs no matter what background color you set for the composition.

The only real reason to choose a different background color for the comp when rendering a project with transparency is to effect the antialiased edge pixel color when you choose Premultiply with Alpha in the render settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Aug 18, 2018 Aug 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The marked switch is probably on (blue) at the bottom of your Composition window. Click it to turn it off (grey).

TransparencySwitch.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2019 Aug 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2020 Jan 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This helped. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks a million!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know you gave this answer years ago...but thanks today, lol!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2023 Oct 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks – that worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank You SIR!!1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2020 Oct 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines