• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reflect Tool Problem

Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2018 Aug 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm making a mascot design in Illustrator CS6 and I've made 1 half of then mascot and I was intending to reflect it with the reflect tool but when I do reflect it, it has a small gap in between the 2 reflected halves which makes a line going all the way down my work. I've made sure the middle of the mascot is completely straight but it still has the same problem. Does anyone know a fix?

Clown-High-Res3.jpg

Discussion successfully moved from Adobe Creative Cloud to Illustrator by moderator.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Thanks to using a bunch of different methods you guys have suggested me I have finally been able to remove the line going down the middle of my work.

Thanks again, Nathaniel.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 18, 2018 Aug 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First: align the anchor points to make sure they are exactly lined up. Select them with the Direct Selection tool.

Second: Deselect, then select with the Selection tool. Click once on the Reflect tool. Hold down Option (Alt) + Click an anchor point to reflect exactly on that anchor point.

Also, make sure Smart Guides are on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2018 Aug 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've made sure they are and I've done the reflect part but still the same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you selected each pair of shapes and joined them into one shape with Cmd(Ctrl)+J or Object > Path > Join? This will work if they are open shapes, not closed shapes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried that but it still has some points where it does that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

1. Delete one side.
  2. With "Direct Select" tool drag-select all "center-line" end points.
  3. Turn on "Align to Selection"
  4. Click "Horizontal Align Centers"
  5. Select all and "Group" (Cmd/Cntrl+G)
  6. Select "Effect>Distort & Transform>Transform
  7. Use these setting and click OK:
    1. At this point you can edit your artwork and see it change dynamically on the other side.
  8. Expand Appearance
  9. Ungroup each side
  10. Select both sides of mirrored objects
  11. Choose "Object>Path>Join" (Cmd/Cntrl+J)
  12. Repeat steps 10 and 11 for each reflected object pair.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/lil+Brit  wrote

Just tried that but it still has some points where it does that.

Double-click one of the shapes where you see the white line to go into isolation mode. Also look in your layers panel to see what you have.

Did both halves of the shape go into isolation mode or just the left or right half? What do you see in the Layers panel?

Escape will take you out of isolation mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might just be a screen rendering issue.

When the design is finalized use pathfinder or live paint or shapbuilder tool to combine the two halves and then the line should be gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this happened with simple shapes also?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's pretty normal that this also happens with simple shapes. It depends on their exact position in the pixel grid and it depends on zoom factor.

To check if it's caused by actual misalignment of objects, you will need to open Preferences > General and turn off antialiasing.

Two simple rectangles, perfectly aligned:

Bildschirmfoto 2018-08-19 um 13.23.02.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off "Anti-alias" in preferences and the line will go away. It will not print. Have you tried exporting as PNG or JPG? Does it still appear? If so expand and join the two sides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Align to pixel grid also take out white line. You can find it on the right of control panel

Seamlessly align your artwork with the pixel grid...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does still appear and what do you mean by expanding it using the selection tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use pathfinder or shapebuilder tool to combine the two sides.

Please look those up in the documentation if you're not sure how they work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to using a bunch of different methods you guys have suggested me I have finally been able to remove the line going down the middle of my work.

Thanks again, Nathaniel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Which methods worked, Nathanial?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines