• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Documentation for Captivate Projects

Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any guidance from anyone on best practice for technical documentation for Captivate projects?  There does not seem to be a built in tool that goes beyond the Print function. That output does not include variables, Advanced Actions, JavaScript  code, etc.  Within Captivate there doesn't seem to be a function for commenting on use of variables or logic for program flow which should also be included.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

This will be very personal, and depending on the situation. I debug or improve files for clients. They need some documentation, and except for Shared actions very little can be used out of the box with Captivate. Here are some tips:

• Whenever possible I use Shared actions. Reason: you can add a descritption to the action and to the parameters, something which is not possible for advanced actions.
  • For the same reason I try to offer a shared action which will create all the variables when imported in

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will be very personal, and depending on the situation. I debug or improve files for clients. They need some documentation, and except for Shared actions very little can be used out of the box with Captivate. Here are some tips:

• Whenever possible I use Shared actions. Reason: you can add a descritption to the action and to the parameters, something which is not possible for advanced actions.
  • For the same reason I try to offer a shared action which will create all the variables when imported in any project. Those variables will have a full description as well (and a default value) when imported. Have a look at my recent post:
    Rare Tips for Shared Actions - Captivate blog
  • I will use a strict labeling system for all items, and offer an explanation of the logic of that system.
  • Often I will include a screenshot of the fully expanded library.
  • Sometimes I use the scratch area to add some explanations
  • In most cases, especially when the workflow will have to be reproduced in future projects, I will write out full documentation (InDesign) in a pdf document. I explain the variables, the logic of the shared/advanced actions and eventually add a flowchart if necessary. Since the Branching view is not showing the navigation based on shared/advanced actions, it is mostly useless. The Advanced Interaction panel however can often be a plus!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!  I will work on a documentation for one of my projects using your suggestions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources