Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Instructional Videos - Best Recording and output settings for Vimeo

Engaged ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Adobe 2017 - Creating Instructional Videos that must be hosted on Vimeo and then embedded.

These are software simulations (not Video demos) that show users how to use an desktop application. Step by step instructions that help users navigate around the application and carry out common tasks.

I'm flexible on settings when recording - using windows..

I've been working with Captivate for a few years on and off and always found it a challenge to create videos that compress well and don't appear fuzzy in online streaming sites like Vimeo. I've never found a clear solution to this issue and seem to get caught in a google/youtube loop everytime I investigate it again. Surely it should not be so challenging with a tool that is designed for this exact kind of challenge?

So again, I find myself on a new project and the same issue. The video recorded as Software simulation at 1280 output to MP4 looks fine (not perfect but fine) but uploaded into vimeo -  (you dont get choice with compression on vimeo) text is not as clear, still fine on laptop. BUT when when folk dare to hit the full screen button on anything other than 14inch monitor, the text is grainy and well just unprofessional looking.

So far I've tried recording at 1280 * 720 with above results, and will now try 1920 * 1080 to improve quality. Both these resolutions are recommended by Vimeo Compression Guidelines on Vimeo​​ - but I've been down this road so many times before.

Then I guess its time to fiddle with output on MP4 to optimise output and run lots of tests. It's pretty time consuming doing these tests.

Before I do, can I ask you kind folk a few questions.

1. Has anyone come across this challenge and found a best practice?
  2. Anyone else fighting with the challenge of making content look good on vimeo/you tube when creating instructional content for desktop applications?
  3. Any output settings I'm missing with the newer version 2017 of captivate.

Many thanks

Craig

TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Vimeo is your intended delivery platform I would not be using Captivate for this.  I have instructional video tutorials for Adobe Captivate up on Vimeo and I used Adobe Presenter Video Express to create them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rob, if using Adobe Presenter Video express, do I need to import the Captivate videos before publishing for Vimeo? thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you misunderstand.  If you go the way I did, you don't need to use Captivate at all.  The Presenter Video Express tool creates a video file similar to a Captivate Video Demo, but you have the added bonus of being able to include video feed from your web cam as a Picture-in-Picture feature (if you so desire).  You don't use this tool if you want interactivity (but then Vimeo doesn't do that either) or you wanted to create anything other than a video showing how to use the software.  From the Video Creator you export an MP4 and then you upload that to Vimeo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rod, OK got you now appreciate the recommendation.

However, I do need to use Captivate, it suits my needs in this instance, the ability to modify individual slides add interactions, callouts, highlight sections and change the order of slides. It's one of the many reasons I use captivate. Another great advantage of captivate is you can showcase software as it will be, not how it is and it easy to manipulate content. I also don't want the distraction of someone looking at me chatting away in these short videos and it wont work as we use professional audio voice overs for final cut.

So event though there is no user interactivity, I do need to use captivate at this stage of the products development.

Hmmm, so I'm back on the questions of how to make captivates output look decent when imported to vimeo if anyone has any ideas or tips.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  Then if I were you, I would just sit tight for a little bit.  Your problem may be about to get another answer.  Can't say more than that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Now I can clarify what I meant by "sitting tight for little bit".  I was referring to the fact that Captivate 2019 was about to be released and in this new version there is the option to have a talking head video (with chroma key to remove the background) on top of your video capture.  That might be worth looking at for what you are trying to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

From the responses so far, it looks like I may well be using the wrong tool?

I do not need the talking head video and unlikely to upgrade to 2019 release until 2019.

I've been bitten too may time upgrading right after a release.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources