9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2008 10:25 AM by pauliester

One swf plays on web server, another does not

pauliester Level 1
      I have a little .swf file (created from video via the Flash encoder) here: www.arveson.com/expt/flash/page1.htm and it does not play on the remote server, but it plays locally. I have placed an Adobe sample Flash file in the same location, called by page2.htm. It plays fine. Why can't my file play? You can check the source code in the URL.
        • 1. Re: One swf plays on web server, another does not
          RossRitchey Level 4
          The problem is your pathing to your FLV file.

The path set in your flash is currently:

G:\\My Videos\\Wrestlers videos\\Video_test1.flv

which is a reference to your local hard drive. You need to change this to be either a relative path (flv/Video_test1.flv) or an absolute path for your server ( http://www.arveson.com/expt/flash/flv/Video_test1.flv).

Another issue I note is that you have a second object on your page for your skin SWF. This is unnecessary. Also, your skin SWF does not seem to have been uploaded to the correct place, if at all.

Once the path is changed, you need to upload a total of 4 files:

1. The FLV video file
          2. The video loader SWF.
          3. The video skin SWF
          4. The HTML that holds your flash object.
          • 2. Re: One swf plays on web server, another does not
            pauliester Level 1
            Thanks for your detailed answer. One question: How do I change the path in the flash file? I don't even know how you could read the flash file to see the path.
            • 3. Re: One swf plays on web server, another does not
              RossRitchey Level 4
              How did you create the video player? Was it a prebuilt one from Dreamweaver, or somewhere else, or did you build the Flash yourself?

PS - I downloaded and decompiled the SWF from your website to get the path.
              • 4. Re: One swf plays on web server, another does not
                pauliester Level 1
                I used Flash CS3 and Dreamweaver MX 2004. Obviously I am a beginner at both; I usually use Visual Studio or Notepad. I guess I have to go back into Flash and change the path settings and re-do the video, right?
                • 5. Re: One swf plays on web server, another does not
                  RossRitchey Level 4
                  Yeah. I have typically seen this problem crop up when people use the "browse" button in the Properties tab to set the contentPath for the FLVPlayback. If the FLV file is located in a folder outside of the folder your FLA is in, then the software places the full path to the FLV on your hard drive. You simply need to change this to the path to its location on your web server, either relative to your SWF location there, or absolute, as I noted previously.
                  • 6. Re: One swf plays on web server, another does not
                    Lucho16 Level 1
                    Your advise is sound ...so a "side" situtation that hopefully you can throw some light to ...(I had posted this in a different forum, but without luck I came into this Generl forum). Any advised would be greatly appreciated! I've created a movie that loads external .jpg(s) and cycles through them (essentially, a slide show). The movie also has a button, which when clicked, it sends the user to a website. The button works well, and the loading of jpg(s) works well too ...locally. When published to the server (swf and jpgs within one folder), the thing fails. Well, half the thing fails. The button shows up and does its thing ok, however the jpg(s) fail to load. BUT if I move the swf and jpg(s) to the root directory on the server, then the movie works fine, just as it worked for me locally.
                    • 7. Re: One swf plays on web server, another does not
                      pauliester Level 1
                      How do you decompile SWF to see the code? I have Flash and Dreamweaver but there isn't anything in the help about this and I have a need to edit another file.
                      • 8. Re: One swf plays on web server, another does not
                        RossRitchey Level 4
                        You need another software to decompile. I use Sothink SWF Decompiler ( http://www.sothink.com )

Be careful if you want to decompile, though. This is a very debated practice among developers. Many people think that to do this is to steal someones intellectual capital (IE all of the time and effort they put into programming the swf). I believe that communities can only move forward by being open about their methods. I gladly give anyone who asks a copy of any source code I develop that they want to learn from, and I gladly decompile swfs to help people solve their problems. I typically ask permission if I am decompiling to figure out how they did something for my own benefit.

@Lucho16, I am not sure exactly what your problem may be from your description. Perhaps with a link, or some source code, I could discern more information.
                        • 9. Re: One swf plays on web server, another does not
                          pauliester Level 1
                          Yes, I understand the desire for protecting one's IP. However, as a developer, I would certainly like to be able to edit my own stuff, whatever it is. Flash contains security options like password protection, which should satisfy both needs. In fact I think a decompiler should now be a part of my tool kit. Again, thanks for your help.

By the way, I also ran into the fact that .flv is a mime type that is not included in Windows servers by default. The help and books don't mention this little detail, which stopped me until I realized what was happening. I have never found a software help or manual that told beginners all the essential details to get started.