• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to trim/extend graphic layer without messing keyframes?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2018 Aug 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everytime I extend a graphic layer, with text animations in it, the keyframes are resized proportionally to the layer extension.

I get Adobe's idea behind this. But what if you want to keep the keyframes at the same timing they were, regardless of trims or extensions? (which would result in loss of keyframes if trimmed, or empty space if extended, but that would be fine)

Help is deeply appreciated

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 26, 2018 Aug 26, 2018

This happens using the method you described. Selection tool hovering the end of the clip. Doesn't work. At least in my 2018 CC version.

However I shall say that I indirectly got the solution from your answer. When using the selection tool, if you over the end or beggining of the clip, you Lenghten or Shorten the layer, which - changes keyframe times.

The Solution is Ripple Trimming and Extending, which - doesn't change keyframe times.

Simple command for that:

B - Ripple edit tool

Best comma

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You might be using the rate change tool to change the length? You need to use the trim tool (active when the selection tool is activated and you put your cursor at the end of a clip) which would keep the keyframes in place. Of course you would have to move the keyframes if you want them in a different place once you trimmed the clip.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This happens using the method you described. Selection tool hovering the end of the clip. Doesn't work. At least in my 2018 CC version.

However I shall say that I indirectly got the solution from your answer. When using the selection tool, if you over the end or beggining of the clip, you Lenghten or Shorten the layer, which - changes keyframe times.

The Solution is Ripple Trimming and Extending, which - doesn't change keyframe times.

Simple command for that:

B - Ripple edit tool

Best commands for that:

W - ripple trim next edit to playhead

Q - ripple trim previous edit to playhead

Shift + W - extend next edit to playhead

Shift + Q - extend previous edit to playhead

Thanks for the help! I wouldn't have come across the solution by myself

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can set Intro and Outro sections of the graphic that are then "protected" when changing graphics length. Look for the Intro and Outro controls in the EGP panel Edit tab.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines