• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to override default printer preferences?

New Here ,
Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I override my default printer preferences?  The printer attached to my computer only prints letter size paper, but I have User Templates for 8x10, 5x7, and16x20 layouts that I want to export to a jpeg file.   In the Print Module, I start with the Layout Style in the upper right panel by selecting "Custom Package".  Then I drop down to the Cells on the right panel and "Clear Layout".  On the bottom of the left side panel I then click on "Page Set Up".  A window pops up that has my default printer listed; I select the orientation and paper size I want for my jpeg file; e.g. 8x10, landscape and click okay.  A blank horizontal 8x10 appears.  Then I select my User Template that fits the horizontal 8x10 and the layout on the screen instantly changes to a vertical 8.5 x 11.  I'm using LR Classic CC on a Windows 10 system.

Please advise, thanks

LWH

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you go to Print Job, you can change from Printer to JPEG. You get an Dimensions options there and a resolution.

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2018 Sep 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I've done this, but when I select a user template I had used/saved previously for 8x10 landscapes, the screen converts the paper size to a portrait letter size (8.5x11).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I select the orientation and paper size I want for my jpeg file; e.g. 8x10, landscape and click okay.  A blank horizontal 8x10 appears. 

All good to this stage!

Then I select my User Template that fits the horizontal 8x10 and the layout on the screen instantly changes to a vertical 8.5 x 11.

This is maybe where you are going wrong. The "User Template" you are selecting must have the 8.5x11 paper size defined in this template.

This is often the problem for beginners to the Print module- understanding that the default installed Adobe templates are all for 8.5x11 paper, even though the 'Photo Cell' defined in that template might be 8x10 or even 6x4.

I suggest that after doing your Page Setup in the Printer dialog- do NOT select a template, but rather go directly to Layout panels for cell size, etc, and then to finally Print to Printer. THEN save your settings as a NEW correct template that will incorporate your 8x10 paper size.

Note: You can also Update a Print template if you have re-defined the paper size.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say, "The "User Template" you are selecting must have the 8.5x11 paper size defined in this template." are you asking/suggesting that the User Template that I created for an 8x10 for an exported jpeg file has somehow embedded and letter size paper in it?  Or, are you saying that Adobe has letter size defaulted/embedded in the program?   That would indicate that Adobe has a very narrow view of the printer capabilities.   Furthermore, if I'm creating a jpeg, the printer attached to my computer should have no influence.  I have used these templates before and never had the screen convert to a portrait letter size. 

If I understand your suggestion, you are proposing that I delete my existing templates and recreate new ones.

I appreciate you feedback, please advise, tnx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you asking/suggesting that the User Template that I created for an 8x10 for an exported jpeg file has somehow embedded and letter size paper in it?

Yes, quite possibly.  If you select that template and the paper size is immediately 8.5x11- then that is the paper size defined in that template.

are you saying that Adobe has letter size defaulted/embedded in the program?

In all the "Lightroom Templates" - You cannot alter them (only alter and 'Save' as a User Template). They all default to 8.5x11.  So I suggest to NEVER click on a "Lightroom Template" unless you want to modify it and then save it as a "User template".

That would indicate that Adobe has a very narrow view of the printer capabilities

I suggest that the Lightroom Templates are a 'limited' set of "Starter" ideas for anyone new to Lightroom. Just ignore them and create your own for YOUR printer and paper!

"User Templates" can be altered and updated, so if you have a User Template that sets the wrong size paper, then correct the size and right-click the template preset to [Update with Current Settings]. (But you can only 'Save' a modified Lightroom Template)

But now you are Exporting a JPG-  Even with the Print Job set as 'Print to :  JPG File' if you define a paper size here and save this as a User template, then the template will be the size you defined.

you are proposing that I delete my existing templates

NO! Do NOT delete. simply select the User Template, re-open the Page Setup dialog, change the paper size to 8x10 (or whatever), then right-click the template preset to [Update with Current Settings].

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2018 Sep 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thought provoking comments, thanks.

BUT, all of my User Templates were created for a specific client who wanted 16x20 and 8x10 prints in landscape mode; several different collages featuring 5 to 12 images were created and saved as User Templates.  This was done using LR 5 on a PC running Windows 10.  So, how did 8.5 x 11 get defined in the User Template?

Now, using LR Classic CC everyone of my User Templates starts with the collage of images I previously defined for the client, but crammed into a portrait on letter-size paper.  Regardless of where I start in the Print Module, I always end up with a letter size portrait.  The only other thing different is I have a new printer.  That's why I was wondering how to override or bypass the printer settings since I want to "print" to a jpeg file.

Please advise, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 04, 2018 Sep 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was wondering how to override or bypass the printer settings since I want to "print" to a jpeg file.

Just don't select ANY predefined template!

Start in the Print Job Panel and set the "Print to:" field as JPEG FILE.

Next, Check 'on' the "Custom File Dimensions" checkbox

Next, Enter the Dimensions-  8x10 is Portrait  10x8 is Landscape, 16x20, 20x16, etc.

Set the "File Resolution" to a PPI appropriate for the desired (final print) size. 300, 200, 150, etc.

Define the Layout and Page options, where you set cell size/s and margine, etc,

Finally click [Print to File] to create the JPG for sending to a client or printing house.

Save a 'new' template for THIS setup.  (Name it   "10x8 H 240ppi JPG"  or something similarly descriptive).

I have a new printer.

Well this changes everything! You will need to re-define ALL your user templates to comply with the new printer drivers.

Easily done- by selecting a template, Reset the Paper Size and format parameters in the [Page Setup] Printer dialog, then update the template "Update with current settings".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines