2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2008 12:22 PM by Newsgroup_User

Uneven Line Weights

jagasaur
      Hi there,

I'm looking for a way to draw lines with uneven weight along its length, to achieve a result similar to the cartoons of Mark Fiore (markfiore.com) or the video game Alien Hominid (alienhominid.com).

The only methods I've had success with are individually manipulating lines by converting them to fills and using certain brush-heads. Unfortunately, the first method is far more time consuming than I need and the second doesn't quite achieve the exact effect.

Is there a method similar to the advanced properties for lines that allow you to draw varieties of dotted/dashed lines? Or perhaps my best bet is a seperate program and import the resultant vector graphics into flash (vector graphics are ideal for my purposes).

Thanks in advance,

-Jag
        • 1. Re: Uneven Line Weights
          RossRitchey Level 4
          The best method for doing this in Flash is to use a Wacom tablet. With the Wacom tablet and Pen, you can vary the pressure of the pen to vary the line-weights.

Otherwise, you can create it in Illustrator and bring the vectors straight into Flash.
          • 2. Re: Uneven Line Weights
            Level 7
            keep in mind this still only works with the brush tool - not the line tool.
            Line tool can not have a varied weight - using Illustrator and importing
            into flash is the recommended way but in the end flash will convert the AI
            lines into shapes anyway - I have had much success using wacom tablets and
            the brush tool in flash.

-chris

"rritchey" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:fociqc$hoq$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > The best method for doing this in Flash is to use a Wacom tablet. With
            > the
            > Wacom tablet and Pen, you can vary the pressure of the pen to vary the
            > line-weights. Otherwise, you can create it in Illustrator and bring the
            > vectors straight into Flash.
            >