7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2018 4:15 PM by Billp99

Getting Reorganized Folders Back Into Lightroom

Billp99

I radically changed the folder structure for the photos on my desktop computer. What’s the best way to get all these changes back into Light Room?

Here’s the situation:

I have an existing Light Room catalog that is 330 MB in size.

After accidentally deleting a bunch of photos (outside of Light Room) I completely restructured my photo file system outside of Light Room.

• I consolidated all the photos that were scattered around different locations on my computer to a single all photos folder that is 121 GB in size.
      • About half of the photos in this new consolidated folder are in the existing Light Room catalog.
      • I changed the names on some upper level folders.
      • The deleted pictures that I recovered from my hard drive had the names and numbers stripped off of them and renamed with new numbers.

What’s the best way to proceed from here to get all my photos in a single light room catalog?

Thanks for any help!

• 1. Re: Getting Reorganized Folders Back Into Lightroom
          JohanEl54 Adobe Community Professional

Maybe you should have asked advice before you did this, because you made things very difficult on yourself. All your reorganised folders will now show a question mark, meaning they are 'missing'. Right-click on such a missing folder, and choose 'Find Missing Folder' from the contextual menu. In the dialog that follows, navigate to the current position of that folder and select it. Do the same if you also renamed the folder. You can 'reconnect' a folder hierarchy this way, so do it with top folders first.

If you deleted images outside of Lightroom, and now have recovered them with another name, you will have quite a task 'reconnecting' these. Lightroom will show the old names and show a 'missing image' exclamation mark. By clicking on that mark you can get a similar 'Locate Missing Image' dialog, but you would have to do this one image at a time.

• 2. Re: Getting Reorganized Folders Back Into Lightroom
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It would have been better to do all of the reorganizing before you imported into Lightroom. OR, you could have moved the images around using the library module in Lightroom. It can be a bit challenging to do that. But since you have done it the way you have described, you have created a substantial challenge for yourself. Hopefully this document will stare you in the right direction. But I'm afraid it's going to be a long and painstaking process for you to get everything synchronized properly.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-thinks-my-photos-are-missing-how-do-i-%EF%AC%81x- it/

• 3. Re: Getting Reorganized Folders Back Into Lightroom
              Billp99 Level 1

Would it work to create a new catalog and import my new folder structure into it. Then import my old catalog into the new catalog?  Would this be any easier then reconnecting all the folders in my existing catalog?  I can't envision how LR would handle merging the 2 different file structures.

• 4. Re: Getting Reorganized Folders Back Into Lightroom
                dj_paige Level 10

No, importing is not a solution. Let me repeat that with emphasis. Importing is not a solution.

Importing will treat your images as brand new images that Lightroom has never seen.

Reconnecting the folder is the solution. You can reconnect entire trees of folders at one time, in which case it shouldn't take long at all.

2 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Getting Reorganized Folders Back Into Lightroom
                  Billp99 Level 1

Thanks for the help!  I'll get to work reconnecting every thing.

• 6. Re: Getting Reorganized Folders Back Into Lightroom
                    JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Importing the new folder structure into a new catalog could be a solution if you want to do all of the editing over again. That means everything! If you have collections then you would have to re-create the collections. If you have keywords then you would have to make do all of that work. If that's what you really want to do, then the new catalog could be a solution. But I seriously doubt that is your intention.

• 7. Re: Getting Reorganized Folders Back Into Lightroom
                      Billp99 Level 1

You are correct -that is not what I want to do.  I'll stick to reconnecting everything.

It's nice to know there is a forum like this to get quick replies to problems.  I'm a fairly new user of LR (less then 1 yr) and will probably seek more help here as I explore the many LR features.  The program sure beats other alternatives for managing large photo collections.

Thanks!