• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Damaged or Corrupted CR2 files

Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took photos on Saturday and they are not able to preview or import in Lightroom Clssic CC. Only preview and imports 1/3 of the photos from my SD card. I took with my 6D MK II. I was able to playback in my camera at the photo session but I can't not playback.  My Adobe Lightroom and Camera Raw are up-to-date. Also, I downloaded the DNG Conveter program but it didn't work.  Not sure if it's the SD card malfunction.

Here is a sample file you can take a look.

Dropbox - Saved Pictures - Simplify your life

I also purchased a photo recovery program but no luck. It supposed to fix damaged or corrupted cr2 files according to the company 's website.

Please Help me. i am desperately looking for solutions.  I really appreciate your time in advance.  Thank you so much.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

The way you describe it you have either a malfunctioning camera, bad memory card or faulty hardware from memory card to computer, card reader or cable or just cable if connecting the camera directly to the computer.

When viewing images on the cameras LCD screen what you are seeing is the embedded JPG image that is inside every RAW file. That part of the RAW data may be find but the actual RAW data is corrupted.

First try a new and or different memory card in the camera and take some shots. Import

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way you describe it you have either a malfunctioning camera, bad memory card or faulty hardware from memory card to computer, card reader or cable or just cable if connecting the camera directly to the computer.

When viewing images on the cameras LCD screen what you are seeing is the embedded JPG image that is inside every RAW file. That part of the RAW data may be find but the actual RAW data is corrupted.

First try a new and or different memory card in the camera and take some shots. Import them into LR and view them. If they are ok then it was the card that was bad. If they are also corrupted then it could be the camera or the hardware used to get files from card to computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The photo is corrupted and cannot be used.

The cause of the corruption could be a malfunction any piece of hardware that handles the photo -- the camera, the camera card, the USB cable (if used), the USB port (if used), the card reader (if used), or your hard disk.

You need to try to import the photo again using different hardware, to a different hard disk if possible, and see if you can view it. By doing this, you ought to be able to isolate the bad piece of hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to work yesterday and tried to import them still having the same issue. I can see the file names, sizes, date taken and all the information on the SD card. So no way to recover them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded the image that you provided and tried to open it in Camera Raw. It won't open. There's something wrong with the file. It's corrupted. It either happened during the download, or there's a problem with the card or the card reader or the cable or the camera. You've got to isolate the problem and get it fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your time and effort to help me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Corrupted files are corrupted files. The information you need to render the image isn't in the file (maybe some of it is, but that's not enough to make use of the file). You can't recover information that isn't there. There is no way to fix this.

As stated, you need to isolate the problem, it is likely this is a bad camera card (or bad camera).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're sorry to hear about this, could you please let us know which exact version of Lightroom Classic CC you're working on?
If you're not using the latest version which is 7.5, could you please try updating it via the Creative Cloud desktop application and let us know if it helps?

I just tried importing the file at my end and got the error that the file appears to be damaged. I believe it might be due to a faulty SD card.

You can find a few third party apps or ways which might help with this, however, it's not a guaranteed fix. https://www.google.co.in/search?q=repair+cr2+files&oq=repair+cr2+file&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.3712j...

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the Llightroom classic cc 7.5 version. I also think it's the faulty SD card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if it's the malfunction of the SD card, is there any way to fix the SD card?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to buy a new card. I would not take even one more photo on this card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2018 Dec 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt it's your card or camera. I'm having same problem and I'm pretty sure it's incompatible software bc it started happening recently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 23, 2018 Dec 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sandrac1461037  wrote

I doubt it's your card or camera. I'm having same problem and I'm pretty sure it's incompatible software bc it started happening recently.

Is there anything more you can tell us about what is happening? And how do you know it's not the card or camera?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 24, 2018 Dec 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

CR2 files would appear distorted. Many problems occurred when I updated with camera raw 11.1 because it exceeds my computer's specs and was installed anyway. Only once I uninstalled EVERYTHING, cleaned up EVERYTHING, reinstalled a rolled back version of EVERYTHING did EVERYTHING WORK PERFECTLY. So not in a hurry to replace almost new memory cards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines