Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR Classic CC Version 7.5

Mac OS Sierra Version 10.12.6

Nikon D750, Tamron 15-30 mm

SD card (new and formatted in camera) SanDisk Extreme Plus 32 gb

I was trying out my new lens this morning and I uploaded the photos into LR using a card reader.  I cropped one of the photos and noticed a red streak along the bottom while in the develop module.  I then moved to the library module and the red streak was gone.  None of the other photos from the group had this issue.  I have also been able to load the same files into LR CC with no issues - iPad Pro with Lightroom CC Version 3.4.0 via a card reader.

I also noticed from photos taken a few nights ago, different lens and SD card bad distortion (pink, white, red) in a different location (right side of photo) after I uploaded them into LR.  I saw no issues while taking the photos - back of camera view looked good.  I also uploaded the same photos into Lightroom CC with no issues. 

It does not appear to be a SD card or camera issue.

What could be causing this issue in LR Classic CC?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

SanDisk is fine.  Just don't use an adaptor.  If you haven't tried this already, use a card-reader that has it's own microSD slot, rather than the card in the adaptor in a regular SD slot, and see if the photos make it off the card ok.

Your latest two look ok in Library and Develop:

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mcb,

As you're seeing distortion in the images, could you please try deselecting "Use Graphics Processor" located in Lightroom's Preferences > Performance, then relaunch Lightroom and let us know if it helps?

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is usually associated with corruption of the raw files somewhere along the route of importing into Lightroom. This can be a bad sd card, a bad card reader, a bad USB cable, some problem with the camera, some problem with your computer's hard disk, memory, etc. Figuring out what it is usually takes some effort of elimination by trying multiple cards, other card readers, other USB cables, different USB port, etc. and is not easily guessed from a distance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but no, this did not resolve the issue.

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the suggestions, but I have tried many of the suggestions you mentioned. New card, direct import into computer without using card reader, import same photos from card into LR CC. If it is a hard drive issue, I don’t understand why the files looks fine in the library module but distorted in the develop module.

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this an image that you could share via dropbox or Google drive or similar so that others could examine it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, definitely. I have dropbox and 3 examples. How do I send it?

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just post the link in a message here on the forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does not appear to be a SD card or camera issue.

I can't imagine why you say this, you have not ruled out this as a possibility. In particular, the issue could be intermittent, some photos on the card are corrupted, while others are not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, but I don't understand how I can use the same cards and load into into LR CC with no issue?

I did some minor editing on my iPad using the LR CC app with no issue.

That's why I don't think it's a card issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the link to the dropbox to view the photos.

Dropbox - Lightroom Examples - Simplify your life

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't send us screen captures via DropBox, you have to send us the actual JPG files of your photos via DropBox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, let me try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or the actual RAW files, whatever came out of the camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, if you really want help, send us the actual files. From what you sent, it looks like a bad card but it's hard to tell from just looking at a snapshot of your screen. We need to have access to the actual image files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the first two screenshots that illustrate a difference you're seeing between Library and Develop:

Photo Sep 03, 12 43 45 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 03, 12 43 28 PM.jpg

untitled-9638.NEF is the file you should upload for us to DropBox.  You can use the same folder as the four screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The NEF file you uploaded to DropBox shows raw-data corruption even in the library module in LR 7.5 for me on Windows, and from what you've said you've tried, the image is likely bad on the SD card since multiple methods of reimporting have not changed anything.  This likely indicates a bad SD card or something amiss with the way the card was inserted.  I am a little concerned by the term "MicroSD" in your screen annotations.  Does the camera you're using actually have a microSD slot or are you using a microSD card in a microSD to SD converter sleeve which adds another layer or contacts that can be iffy?  Or is the terminology night quite right and card just a regular SD, close to an inch in size, rather than a microSD which is smaller than half-an-inch and is the kind that goes into a smartphone?

Here is the camera-embedded thumbnail in LR's import grid before importing and it shows the entire image with the curved bridge railing along the bottom:

Neither your Library nor Develop screenshots show this railing so both are showing a corrupted image.  The only difference is the Develop version shows extra multi-colored pixels while the Library image does not for you.

Here is what I see in my LR 7.5 Library preview, which definitely shows the corruption:

The bottom line is the raw data in the image is corrupted and if multiple transfers from the SD card via another card reader or via a cable connected to the camera haven't yielded an uncorrupted image, then your SD card is bad and should not be used again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you and everyone else that has taken a look at this for me.  It must be the card.

It is a micro SD with an adapter.  I agree it adds another layer.  I’ve used them before without an issue, but I will discontinue using.

The other files that I uploaded were not from a micro SD card.  I just uploaded the other two raw files, straight from the original SD card.  Are these also corrupt?

Do any of you have recommendations for SD cards?  I’m ready to give up on the SanDisk brand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

SanDisk is fine.  Just don't use an adaptor.  If you haven't tried this already, use a card-reader that has it's own microSD slot, rather than the card in the adaptor in a regular SD slot, and see if the photos make it off the card ok.

Your latest two look ok in Library and Develop:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines