4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2018 6:55 AM by kristinab715849

Framterates collide in Premiere?

kristinab715849 Level 1

Hi everybody! I have a problem and I'm gonna do my best to explain it. (I'll also send you cookies if you help me out )

I am a YouTuber. And YouTube likes 30p och 60p a lot more than 24p (which is what I'm currently using). 60p even offers higher bitrates. Which is why I am looking to use 60p (or 59,94, to be exact).

I have videogame footage in 60p. In a 59.94 timeline, it works great. No problem so far.

I have DSLR footage in 60p as well, 59.94 exactly. No problem there either.

But here's the issue; I also use movie clips that are running at 23.98p. I have it set up, like so;

When I render this in 59.94 (x264, 1080p 150 bitrate), it looks fine. Not choppiness or anything. Am I missing something? As I was to understand the 23.98 fps footage should look choppy?

Here's what I typically use, and I mix 24p (24p exact), DSLR footage, gamefootage at 60p and movie clips at 23.98 no problem. But then again, YouTube does not like it.

Thanks for reading. I am very sorry if I'm being unclear or hard to understand. English is not my native. Thank you!

/ Cassie

• 1. Re: Framterates collide in Premiere?
          juanmario Level 4

Hi.

Sorry but I do not understand the query and what is the problem, therefore I do not know if you miss something.

I only mention that Premiere does not export x264 natively.

Give a bitrate from 150 to a 1080 is too much, youtube recommends 12.

The conversion of fps should not be choppy if the program works well, in the CC, in the CS6 if it looks ugly.

You do not mention what exactly YouTube does not like.

There is this link for youtube information:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

English is not my native language, maybe I do not understand you.

• 2. Re: Framterates collide in Premiere?
            Kristian Gabriel Adobe Community Professional

If you are having issues with multiple framerates in a Premiere timeline--the best solution is to transcode ALL your footage to ONE FORMAT and ONE FRAMERATE. By doing this, you are eliminating so many issues and problems. Premiere is fantastic at mixing framerates--but there can be issues. Use the INGEST settings in Premiere to import all your footage into a single format or use Media Encoder by itself to encode BEFORE you edit. Most of us love Premiere for its ability to work natively with camera footage. Instantly import and edit in seconds! Premiere is the best editor in the world natively and I work with Avid and Final Cut professionally. Premiere has them both beat.  This is all great--but the truth is, if you have the time and hard drive space, transcoding all your footage into a single format and framerate almost completely ensures the success of a project (how good or bad the original footage is another matter).

In reference to one of your statements, it looks as if your bitrate is too high. If you are exporting your video for Youtube--as long as the video looks fine on your computer--Youtube should not reject it unless it is too big or the bitrate is too high. Even if you mix multiple video clips with different framerates--all will be converted to one framerate when you export to H.264. As stated previously, 150 Bitrate is too high. If you wanted a higher bitrate for a 1080P or 4K video--I would keep it within 8 to 45 Mbps. If you want a great video quality on Youtube--you have 2 choices. Use the official Adobe Youtube Presets (which are excellent: Youtube 1080P, Youtube 2160P,etc.) or high encode using a high bitrate. Once again, I would keep your bitrate below 50-70Mbps. We've used 40 to 45 quite a bit with great success. And, as a side note, Premiere + Media Encoder applications are some of the best in the world for encoding H.264. I use them daily for all levels of professional work. Just FYI--Here are the most recommended settings for Youtube now in 2018 (From Youtube's Website):

Container: MP4

Audio codec: AAC-LC

• Channels: Stereo or Stereo + 5.1
            • Sample rate 96khz or 48khz

Video codec: H.264

• Progressive scan (no interlacing)
            • High Profile
            • Variable bitrate. No bitrate limit required, though we offer recommended bit rates below for reference

Frame rate

Content should be encoded and uploaded in the same frame rate it was recorded.

Recommended video bitrates for SDR uploads

To view new 4K uploads in 4K, use a browser or device that supports VP9.

TypeVideo Bitrate, Standard Frame Rate
            (24, 25, 30)
            Video Bitrate, High Frame Rate
            (48, 50, 60)
            2160p (4k)35-45 Mbps53-68 Mbps
            1440p (2k)16 Mbps24 Mbps
            1080p8 Mbps12 Mbps
            720p5 Mbps7.5 Mbps
            480p2.5 Mbps4 Mbps
            360p1 Mbps1.5 Mbps

Recommended video bitrates for HDR uploads

TypeVideo Bitrate, Standard Frame Rate
            (24, 25, 30)
            Video Bitrate, High Frame Rate
            (48, 50, 60)
            2160p (4k)44-56 Mbps66-85 Mbps
            1440p (2k)20 Mbps30 Mbps
            1080p10 Mbps15 Mbps
            720p6.5 Mbps9.5 Mbps
            480p

Not supported

Not supported
            360pNot supportedNot supported

Recommended audio bitrates for uploads

TypeAudio Bitrate
            Mono128 kbps
            Stereo384 kbps
            5.1512 kbps

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ----------

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Framterates collide in Premiere?
              kristinab715849 Level 1

Hi and thanks for your reply.

Well, the problem kind of is that I expected a problem. But I'm not really having any even though I mix these framerates and export at 60p.   Hence I thought I might be missing something.

About what YouTube likes, it was more about what framerates their player prefers. It allows for anything. But it has a harder time with 24p than say 30p.

• 4. Re: Framterates collide in Premiere?
                kristinab715849 Level 1

Hi, and WOW, what an explanation! Thank you!

I will try this out. I do have the harddrive space so transcoding won't be an issue. Would it be possible for me to transcode using something like Handbrake? Sorry for the additional question, just curious.

Thank you.