Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Premiere Pro Runs Slow for previews

New Here ,
Sep 07, 2018 Sep 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

I have been putting up with this for a while but decided to ask for help as i cant figure it out.

When editing 4K footage when i start adding effects the preview struggles even at 1/8 quality. I can just about manage an ultra key with a background.

I recently purchased red giant keying and as soon as i put the effect on some footage with nothing else the timeline go's red and i have to pre render it.

Also looking in task manager it never seems to utilise much of my CPU or GPU

Now my system i thought was suitable but maybe im wrong?

Ryzen 7 1700x 3.6ghz overclock

32gb ram

Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 07, 2018 Sep 07, 2018

Hi JohnD,

Sorry for this disappointment. My suggestion is that 4K Long GOP camera originals should always be used only for reference and output. Use proxy files to edit with. After your edit is complete, export using the 4K originals. Here's how: Basic Premiere Pro editing workflow Just stay clear of the H.264 presets. Use the presets for  Cineform on PC or ProRes for macOS.

Let us know if that works out for you.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JohnD,

Sorry for this disappointment. My suggestion is that 4K Long GOP camera originals should always be used only for reference and output. Use proxy files to edit with. After your edit is complete, export using the 4K originals. Here's how: Basic Premiere Pro editing workflow Just stay clear of the H.264 presets. Use the presets for  Cineform on PC or ProRes for macOS.

Let us know if that works out for you.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou john,

Why avoid h.264? i normally export my 4k footage using VBR 2 pass h264 with a bitrate of 50 (youtube recommendations)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2018 Sep 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John is talking about the intermediate codec used for editing, not the export codec for final output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just created quicktime proxies in 720p and it runs much better.

But still if i use primatte keyer from red giant, The clip becomes unpreviewable. Does this sound right? i really have to pre render a whole clip just because of primatte keyer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 08, 2018 Sep 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4K files + RedGiant effects.

Use proxy files, it will not move that combination in a fluid way.

I use the elements included with the program, I do the same and it gives me more fluency in editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2018 Sep 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thankyou guys. Previously i primarily built pc's for gaming.

I am required to do a lot more editing now & adobe suite is my favourite. Would i see much benefit upgrading my pc to a threadripper etc? would that help me to edit online? i dont mind offline editing but it even struggles a little offline editing with red giant suite.

When used i end up editing my sequences with FX toggled off

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines