Exit

Batch enhance "Camera Image" pdf

New Here ,
Sep 09, 2018 Sep 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 500 pages PDF I am trying to enhancing. I have two enhancing options:

1) Camera Image

2) Scanned acquired (or something like that, I am not using the English version)

Whenever I try to enhance Camera Image I get a great result with completely blank (white) backgruond. But I have to manually select the image for cropping and I have to do it one page at a time, requiring hours of work.

Enhancing the scanned acquired page won't get me the same result but I can apply it to all the pages.

My question is: is there any way to enhance the pages with the same result I get from selecting "Camera Image", even without cropping every page since they don't need any cropping?

Thank you very much!

PS: I have Adobe Acrobat Pro DC

TOPICS
Scan documents and OCR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2018 Sep 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marior,

In a word, yes.

Here's the deal, you do not mention what operating system you are using (or version) nor what kind of scanner you are using and what kind of software you are using for your scanner.

As I'm on a Mac, I have far fewer options than if I were on a PC but on the other hand, having read all of the issues that PC users have trying to coordinate their OS, the scanner's software and Acrobat, it's not worth the effort (in my mind). As such, I do all of my scanning directly using either EpsonScan software or Silverfast 8. For documents, EpsonScan is more than sufficient. However for photos and slides, Silverfast leads by miles and miles.

[Keep in mind that Acrobat itself does not do any scanning. Rather, it links to your scanner via your scanner's software. My point is that it's best to cut out the middleman and just use your scanner and it's software and get the job done.]

Sometime back I wrote a blog about how to get good quality scans to create PDFs, you can read it here:

https://forums.adobe.com/community/creativepipeline/blog/2018/01/22/scanning-clean-search-able-pdfs​

One important point though: you mentioned the need to scan some 500 pages, that's a lot! I had a situation where I also had hundreds of pages of documents to scan and I was fortunate enough for a friend to lend me his FujiScan. It is the kind of scanner where you place a stack of papers in the top and it feeds the paper past the scanning head (as opposed to a traditional scanner where the head moves up and down the paper). In addition it can do both sides at the same time and it can do this VERY fast. The one big drawback is that it must have the pages lose, it cannot do a book or a magazine, the pages must be free. I had to destroy hundreds of magazines to scan what I needed to scan.

The other negative aspect was that the quality of the OCR that came with the FujiScan was not of great quality. Not only was the OCR poor quality, the size of each page was remarkably large (in storage size).

Fortunately I found that I could scan all day, then at the end of the day point Acrobat Pro to the folder in question and redo the OCR from scratch. I ended up with significantly smaller files and the OCR was considerably better.

One last hint on scanning and OCR: slower is better. What I mean by that is that the higher the resolution, the better quality of OCR you will get. Things like "r" and "i" together may be seen as "n" if the resolution is not perfect. So a minimum scan of 300 ppi is good, 600 ppi is better.

Oh, and one last last thing: photographing your pages. The big issue here is if you are photographing a book, it's very hard to keep the pages flat. Nonetheless, while not quite on point, I also did a blog for Adobe on how to photograph camera slides. As an amateur photographer, I had close to 10,000 slides in my collection before I went all digital. Doing a PROPER scan for each slide took about 5 minutes per slide and at that quantity, I'd be dead before I finished the scanning. So, I came up with a full process of photographing my slides that dropped the total time to less than 30 seconds including any adjustment. I mention this because I tethered my camera to Lightroom and used Lightroom's global adjustments to do the cropping, color, and contrast adjustments. FWIW, for your purposes I do not think this is the best course to follow but I mention it for your information. That article starts with this blog and there are links to the subsequent blogs explaining the process.

https://forums.adobe.com/community/creativepipeline/blog/2017/06/30/digitizing-your-slides-by-photogr...

I hope some of this helps, please let us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2019 Dec 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the same question, and there was no direct answer so far. How can I use Enhance camera image - document feature as a batch to enhance phone photos of some book pages without adjusting each page borders manually? Pls do not substitute the direct answer with your life story. In other words, how to switch Adjust page borders option off?

Alternatively, what settings would allow to enhance multiple page scans to the same quality level (with completely removed background) by using Acrobat's Enhance Scanned Document feature instead of Enhance Camera Image - Document

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2024 Jan 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Agreed!! Can't believe I have to go through EVERY PAGE and adjust the random placement of the handles! AND insult to injury, I get the 'Tip' to adjust the handles... EVERY TIME. God this program is such a P.O.S.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines