Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

illustrator 2018 - eyedropper tool doesn't pick-up properties[Branched]

Explorer ,
Sep 05, 2018 Sep 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika,

Thanks for your note regarding the order of appearance attributes. I moved my fill and that seems to help. Unfortunately, this is stuck as the default behavior, every time I color pick the color I want from another shape to apply on my live text object, the text reverts back to black because the fill drops below the stroke (stroke is set to nothing), and then I have to pull the fill back up in order to see it on my text.

Is there a way to make this not the default behavior? What an unnecessarily frustrating program.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

mattr60797061  wrote

Is there a way to make this not the default behavior? What an unnecessarily frustrating program.

Illustrator picks up the Appearance of the last object that you select. Try this to reset objects:

• Deselect all
  • Type "D" (the keyboard shortcut for Default Appearance of black, 1-pt stroke, white fill

To reset text formatting:

• Open the Paragraph Styles panel
  • Confirm Normal is selected. There is probably a + because of the overrides
  • Clear the overrides by Option (Alt) + Click on the styl

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2018 Sep 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It shouldn't create a new fill at all.

When you select the text (with the text tool) instead of the text object and then pick up the color, the color should be applied directly to the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mattr60797061  wrote

Illustrator picks up the Appearance of the last object that you select. Try this to reset objects:

• Deselect all
  • Type "D" (the keyboard shortcut for Default Appearance of black, 1-pt stroke, white fill

To reset text formatting:

• Open the Paragraph Styles panel
  • Confirm Normal is selected. There is probably a + because of the overrides
  • Clear the overrides by Option (Alt) + Click on the style name

If necessary, repeat with the Character Styles panel.

You can also clear the overrides from the panel menu for each style panel.

If you are actually using styles, then clear the overrides from the style you are using.

Character and paragraph styles in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously, why isn't this bug still not fixed!  The first report was in April...

I can only install an older version of Illustrator to solve it.
Every time there is an update I lose time on this kind of bugs, that obviously don't have any priority for adobe.
Or you change position of small presets like snap to grid kind of stuff from one panel to another (not better, just different)

Makes me wonder why I ever want to update in the future. Newer is clearly not better.
Cost me so much time on existing projects to work around this stupid bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The workaround I marked as correct helps reset the appearance settings for your objects, but I agree. The fact stuff like this just seems to fall through the cracks and is entirely forgotten really bothers me.

To think of the millions Adobe spends on advertising their products every year, and their monopoly on arts & design education in general, the fact that they can't put more resources towards maintaining their flagship products really speaks volumes about their priorities.

I'm on CC18 right now, on everything, and I refuse to update to CC19. There's just no good reason to. Between Ae, Pr, Ps, Ai, Br, and the various Lightrooms (another convoluted concept no one seems to understand but Adobe), and the plugins that connect them and extend their functionality; I have a very intricate professional workflow I use regularly. When I updated to CC18 from CC17, I remember it took about 2 months to restore full functionality between all my programs. Unacceptable.

At the very least, they should compensate for all that lost time in the way of rebates or discounts, but they don't care. They'll continue to push out lousy, buggy update after update, with a plethora of new hype videos discussing all their fancy new buttons, while completely ignoring the nightmarish mess underlying everything, as well as the growing body of affected users because they can replace that cashflow with students both entering and exiting college.

It's an ingenious system they've developed, albeit disgusting and driven entirely by their marketing department.

Here's to hoping a competitor arises that actually listens to their user base.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines