17 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2008 3:37 PM by Newsgroup_User

    director 11

    stevenLandau
      I am wondering if anyone knows any details about the release date for Director 11. I have been waiting to upgrade my products for that release. My company's products completely depend on Director, which is an amazingly great piece of software, and whose functionality for programming in the kiosk and museum exhibit environment is not duplicated in any other existing programming environment. I am desperately hoping that Adobe realizes this and does not have plans to give up on a community of developers who don't have clear alternatives. That seems like an especially bad thing to do considering all of the encouragement we were given to hold out for the update version. Without that, my products will probably die.
        • 1. Re: director 11
          Steveorevo Level 1
          You and everyone else is waiting. And waiting. The details of such announcement has an announcement date itself of sometime in Febuary 2008. Again, thats a date about the date about Director 11. It was November 07, then December, then Jan. 08, now Feb. I'm really looking forward to their announcement (hopefully) this Febuary that at the very least they'll say Director 11 will be announced within the next 10 years. But as you can see, getting Adobe to stick to a date, at which they will talk about yet another future date has been difficult. Lets all hope that Adobe sticks to their Feb. date to tell us something about Director -hopefully about date, although it may be just about something else.... grrr
          • 2. director 11
            thismarty Level 1
            Adobe is probably planning to announce D11 officially at GDC '08, probably on opening day, February 18th.

            This is the *for-games* version of Director, after all and the new Adobe evangelist has already announced on his blog that he will be at GDC on behalf of Adobe this year.

            [Note]: edited because Adobe's forum can't handle quotation marks.
            • 3. Re: director 11
              liveoak Level 1
              quote:

              Originally posted by: MartyPlumbo
              Adobe is probably planning to announce D11 officially at GDC '08, probably on opening day, February 18th.

              Could be true, but they have a tiny booth (6301H), seen on this floor plan link. So they won't have much to show even if they do announce something for release later in the year.

              http://www.gdconf.com/expo/floorplan/08_GDC_1_25_08%20North%20Expo%20Floor.pdf
              • 4. Re: director 11
                thismarty Level 1
                Hmmm, good detective work there, liveoak.

                With a booth that small, maybe they're just going to announce the latest revised date for the official announcement of the announcement of the forthcoming release of Director 11 then.

                ;-)
                • 5. Re: director 11
                  Steveorevo Level 1
                  Doesn't Adobe realize that their market base is in the graphic design segment (a stigma now) and aquiring of Macromedia lead to a HUGE potential asset of aquiring software solution developers for Adobe AIR?

                  They are letting that go by isolating Director developers. I personally develope using PHP, Java, C++, ActionScript and Lingo and I do honestly find Director a perfect fit for alot of my clients. Although that is dwindling not because of new solutions but because of age (old 3d, lack of mac ability, xml parser with memory leaks, etc).

                  COME ON ADOBE! YOU ARE LOSING YOUR NEW FOUND FOCUS!!! With this total lack of attention, I'm more and more likely to move all my clients away from 'Adobe' Director and take Silverlight and various MS SDKs more seriously and not even consider AIR!

                  If you are going to ignore Director, at least don't ignore your revenue stream and try to appeal to Director Developers with migration/literature/Hot AIR about what Adobe can do for developers (and the developers you've isolated and ignored). Otherwise you'll be left with a new Adobe Software developer company with no client developers, -just graphic artist wondering why your company focus isn't on them!
                  • 6. Re: director 11
                    Level 7
                    MartyPlumbo wrote:
                    > Hmmm, good detective work there, liveoak. With a booth that small, maybe
                    > they're just going to announce the latest revised date for the official
                    > announcement of the announcement of the forthcoming release of Director 11
                    > then. ;-)
                    >

                    Yes, this is beginning to sound like the next Duke Nukem Forever - maybe
                    there was a pun intended!

                    Prof. S
                    • 7. Re: director 11
                      Level 7
                      scarroll wrote:
                      > Doesn't Adobe realize that their market base is in the graphic design segment
                      > (a stigma now) and aquiring of Macromedia lead to a HUGE potential asset of
                      > aquiring software solution developers for Adobe AIR? They are letting that go
                      > by isolating Director developers. I personally develope using PHP, Java, C++,
                      > ActionScript and Lingo and I do honestly find Director a perfect fit for alot
                      > of my clients. Although that is dwindling not because of new solutions but
                      > because of age (old 3d, lack of mac ability, xml parser with memory leaks,
                      > etc). COME ON ADOBE! YOU ARE LOSING YOUR NEW FOUND FOCUS!!! With this total
                      > lack of attention, I'm more and more likely to move all my clients away from
                      > 'Adobe' Director and take Silverlight and various MS SDKs more seriously and
                      > not even consider AIR! If you are going to ignore Director, at least don't
                      > ignore your revenue stream and try to appeal to Director Developers with
                      > migration/literature/Hot AIR about what Adobe can do for developers (and the
                      > developers you've isolated and ignored). Otherwise you'll be left with a new
                      > Adobe Software developer company with no client developers, -just graphic
                      > artist wondering why your company focus isn't on them!
                      >

                      And so what would be the closest alternative to Director for developing
                      a role-playing adventure game?

                      Prof. S.
                      • 8. Re: director 11
                        Steveorevo Level 1
                        An alternative to Director? After looking at www.gamespace.com, and hundreds of role playing games. I would have to say anything but Director. Although Director *would have been ideal*.

                        The thought makes my stomach sick as I know that Director/Shockwave's install base is less and less. With the claim of it being the number one 3D render on the web (many calling BS on this one) I would have to now say *its less and less likely to be Director* and definately not AIR.

                        For a role playing game in 3D I would have to point to custom, and in most cases, platform dependent software written in either C++, or a scripting like ECMA Script language coupled with a library like Orgre3D or Unity3D. For standalone development its clear that there are dozens of development environments from DarkBASIC to Torque, and the list goes on.

                        Director, for me, holds a special place in my heart as being one the first languages I picked up (Lingo). Coupled with a familiarity, its a natural bias. Its just sad that its also a misguided, isolated, and lost one...
                        • 9. director 11
                          thismarty Level 1
                          For non-3D game development, and given what should be a good, upcoming update to the web plug-in and authoring environment with D11, you still won't be able to beat Director.

                          For 3D though, there's nothing even close to Unity. If you can get past the perplexing I-can't-buy-a-Mac-itis that so many people harangue on, Unity is nothing short of amazing for 3D game development.

                          IMHO

                          (Note: edited because I can't spell]
                          • 11. Re: director 11
                            Steveorevo Level 1
                            Wow. Lots of 3D options out there not from Adobe. Its a real shame as I found Director's 3D really easy, feature packed, and structured. Although alot of users complain, I believe it is also because it is a complex topic.

                            I used ChromeLib behaviors as a model and design pattern for writing more 3D behaviors to build my 3D applications in Director.

                            My biggest Grip is that (rumor -although almost fact) with the new Director 11 you'll get alot less for its claim to 3D fame. ChromeLib won't work because there will be no physics xtra (in fact, Havok was dropped versions ago), and no updated 3D engine. So essentially for 3D, Director 11 will be a step backwards (in terms of 3D).

                            However, an updated UI will be nice. Its Director's strong point over Flash for tweening and frame based rapid development. But Director users should feel at home with After Effects CS3's timeline layout tools. If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend it. You can get *even better* timeline layout functionality and can then export to Flash -which has better market saturation anyways. Your only hurdle then will be manipulating elements in ActionScript 3.0.

                            Speaking of which, Shockwave still gets bundled with a very stupid lic. redistribution requirements and the ******* Yahoo/and or Google Toolbar. My clients definately do not dig that. Flash and Silverlight on the other hand do not and install seemlessly. It is a wonder as to who at Macromedia was sabotaging Shockwave? And who at Adobe is continuing to do so!?

                            There will be less Xtras available for D11 too. Many developers just gave up (like me). And new Xtra Development Kits for OSX have yet to be seen. So figure slow migration to zero compatibilities there.

                            What we will be getting (hopefully) is a native Mactel binary.

                            Hopefully Director upgraders won't be slamed with a huge upgrade price too, as history has dictated.

                            I just can't justify paying big bucks for nothing, or in this case, a lot more missing functionality.
                            BUT this is all speculative, so everybody please keep positive thoughts! :) After all, if/when they do announce D11, they had to have been working on something, right?

                            Bottom line Professor, with all this crippling of the software, it would just be insult to injury if Adobe were to claim the target market as for game developers or "Director for developing a role-playing adventure game". That'd be a laugh!

                            In that case, I'd wait for Director XIII, if anything is left!

                            • 12. Re: director 11
                              Steveorevo Level 1
                              Looks like I spoke too soon. Rumor is that Adobe will announce Director's announcement <grin> at the GDC!? How ironic! Hopefully they won't be dropping anymore game development features!
                              • 13. Re: director 11
                                gresh
                                That will be good to see.
                                Then my boss will forget about AIR.
                                • 14. Re: director 11
                                  wurstel
                                  any news?
                                  • 15. Re: director 11
                                    Liquid-Crystal
                                    Hi, I have not heard anything, but the other day I was looking around and I noticed this new Director icon:

                                    http://www.adobe.com/images/shared/product_mnemonics/20x20/director_20x20.jpg

                                    It's based on the other CS3 icons and it wasn't there a week ago. It is for this reason that I believe (rather, hope...) that Adobe are going to announce it this month.
                                    • 16. Re: director 11
                                      skiplondon
                                      Come listen to the Director Podcast.... Adobe will make the announcement at GDC 08 in a few days. We will have a "sneak peak" into it tomorrow... probably have everything online by Thursday night or Friday for you to listen to. The link is: http://director.magicgate.com

                                      Enjoy!
                                      • 17. Re: director 11
                                        Level 7
                                        scarroll wrote:
                                        > An alternative to Director? After looking at www.gamespace.com, and hundreds of
                                        > role playing games. I would have to say anything but Director. Although
                                        > Director *would have been ideal*. The thought makes my stomach sick as I know
                                        > that Director/Shockwave's install base is less and less. With the claim of it
                                        > being the number one 3D render on the web (many calling BS on this one) I would
                                        > have to now say *its less and less likely to be Director* and definately not
                                        > AIR. For a role playing game in 3D I would have to point to custom, and in
                                        > most cases, platform dependent software written in either C++, or a scripting
                                        > like ECMA Script language coupled with a library like Orgre3D or Unity3D. For
                                        > standalone development its clear that there are dozens of development
                                        > environments from DarkBASIC to Torque, and the list goes on. Director, for
                                        > me, holds a special place in my heart as being one the first languages I picked
                                        > up (Lingo). Coupled with a familiarity, its a natural bias. Its just sad that
                                        > its also a misguided, isolated, and lost one...
                                        >
                                        Actually, I'm not so concerned about the 3d. I probably should have
                                        said an adventure game not role-playing. The shockwave compression is
                                        important to make my setup file small and downloadable from the web (not
                                        some huge source on CD or DVD), the ability include voice, nice
                                        scripting language like lingo, and ability to important jpg rendered 3d
                                        scenes.