• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

WD Blue vs Red vs ? - Long Term Video Archive

Explorer ,
Sep 12, 2018 Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I don’t do a ton of editing and do this simply as a hobby I am thinking I would like to archive my videos/projects by using a SATA dock (aka toaster oven) and some desktop HDs (WD Blue, Red, etc). I’ve been told to stay away from Seagate.

I am trying determine if I should go with WD Blues (4TB drives) or WD Reds (a bit more expensive). I’ve seen a lot of folks using WD Blues (what we’re the WD Greens) for this purpose. Keep in mind this is to simply store old videos/projects. These will sit on the shelf and will only be pulled to archive more videos/projects.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Red for backups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Reds seem like the way to go. could always use them if I get an NAS down the road too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My red is internal: 4T.

I have also access to a NAS which stores the backup for my media.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't trust any single HDD they will fail eventually, I've lost one backup due to failure. I now have an 8 disc Drobo NAS and have had two WD reds fail in that but the redundancy saved the files. For my editing discs I have 8 WD RE enterprise drives in a Raid 5 and have also had 2 failures with those.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never lost a hdd. I had 4 running for 10 years (wd black).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Ann+Bens  wrote

I have never lost a hdd. I had 4 running for 10 years (wd black).

You are fortunate, Ann.

In the last 10 years, I have lost about eight HDDs: a combination of internal and external Seagates and Western Digitals, including a couple under warranty. The good news is that I never lost any data because all were well backed up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For now I would put a copy on two hard drives. I understand your point, and I would love an NAS, but I don’t have the budget for that right now and quite frankly is so overkill for what I need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep three drives:

One on site.

One off site.

A third one to rotate with the off site drive so that there is always a drive on site and off site that is current.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*Always* have archive disks in pairs. One disk may fail, but the chance of that happening to two at the same time is very remote. Make sure to spin them up every six months or so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines