• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to manipulate text from Panel Input Field

New Here ,
Sep 12, 2018 Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently I have created a Photoshop Panel for Photoshop CC 2018 specifically to control variables in a PSD template. The panel has around 20 buttons that control visibility of certain layers/groups in the .psd file and was created using the CEP HTML Extension Cookbook. I have this part of the panel working flawlessly.

I have encountered a problem I cannot seem to get past at the moment however. I would like to create a text input field in the panel that when the user submits text, it will update the text layer within the .psd. I have not been able to figure out this step. I feel like their has to be a way to create a variable on the user's click that can then be read by the ExtendScript file to update the text in the .psd.

I believe this can be done because in the Cookbook it says the following:

----------

Access HTML DOM from extend script

There is no way to access HTML extension's JavaScript DOM directly from Application's ExtendScript. If you need to access it, CEP event based communication can be used as a substitution.

CEP creates a library which uses External Object mechanism of ExtendScript to send CSXS events. The external object provides an ExtendScript class CSXSEvent for creating and dispatching application-level CSXS events. On HTML extension side, event listeners can be registered via the addEventListener API in CSInterface.js to listen to the events.

-----------

TLDR; I'm not a programmer by any means, but in laymans terms, is there a way to input text into an HTML panel field and then have it update a layer to that text in a .psd.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2018 Sep 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to define the CSInterface like this in your js file for your html:

var csInterface = new CSInterface();

In your jsx script, you need to create a function, that you can call from your js script:

function myFunction(myTextString){

//code here to place the variable myTextString into a text layer's content

return 'done'

}

Back in your js script you call the function in your jsx file like this:

csInterface.evalScript('myFunction(myJStextString)',whatHappened);

/*add a new function to get feedback from your jsx function - if you want it, by using the whatHappened in the above line, it will return the string "done" as in my previous example

*/

function whatHappened(w){

//w will contain "done."

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2019 Sep 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

hey @ChuckUebele - I tried to make this code work on my project, but I keep getting an undefined message pop up. can you peak at my code to see if it needs to be any different?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/InDesign/js-variable-or-function-that-needs-to-be-passed-to-jsx/m-p/1...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines