12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2008 6:44 AM by Greg Dove

Back button in Flash

GerryIsHere
      Hi there!

Where can I find a REALLY WORKING Flash back button tutorial?
      This is a problem as old as Flash I guess...

Regards,

Gerry
        • 1. Re: Back button in Flash
          Level 7
          Search for SWFAddress.

--
          Dave -
          Head Developer
          http://www.blurredistinction.com
          Adobe Community Expert
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 2. Back button in Flash
            GerryIsHere Level 1
            ???????
            I only have Flash 8 (CS3 is required in the article...)
            • 3. Re: Back button in Flash
              Level 7
              ? Try Google....

--
              Dave -
              Head Developer
              Adobe Community Expert

• 4. Re: Back button in Flash
                GerryIsHere Level 1
                I do not want to offend you, but I do not need an Adobe Community Expert to advise me: "Try Google".

Regards,

Gerry
                • 5. Re: Back button in Flash
                  kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                  then don't say anything because that appears intended to offend.

especially considering the advice you received was on-point. (and SWFAddress comes with as1,as2 and as3 versions.)
                  • 6. Re: Back button in Flash
                    Level 7
                    Well, maybe it will make you feel better if someone else tells you that.

--
                    Dave -
                    Head Developer
                    Adobe Community Expert

• 7. Re: Back button in Flash
                      WebXperience Level 1
                      Performing a Google Search is good advice. I noticed that in your original posting that you didn't mention whether you had already tried searching Google. So it seems like a good idea to advise you to try Google while he researches further on. Don't you?
                      • 8. Back button in Flash
                        GerryIsHere Level 1
                        Okay. I wanted to offend DMennenoh.
                        And I had reasons to have such an attitude.
                        Believe it or not.
                        Let me go straight to the point.

I usually am a very polite person.
                        And especially you, kglad, are aware of this.

I post on forums to get some specialized help.
                        And especially you, kglad, are aware of this.
                        You helped me several times and spent time on this task.
                        And I always thank you from the deepest of my heart.

Excuse me, but when I read the first answer of DMennenoh, I didn't believe it!
                        But, anyway, I made a search which drove me to http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/articles/deep_linking.html
                        where requirements are Flash CS3.

This conducted me to post several question marks.
                        And then, the answer was: Try Google...
                        I felt this answer somewhat provocative, I ain't a guru able to read the thoughts of those who reply to my postings.
                        This answer meant for me: Don't bother me no more... That's it.

Do you both really believe we come on forums to get that kind of help?
                        If somebody doesn't want to help, then do not post answers.
                        It's that simple!

And nobody who tells me Try Google... WITHOUT ANY OTHER EXPLANATION seems helping me!
                        DMennenoh, you should have wrote a short explanation.
                        Something like: ...SWF Address is a package of scripts, for example.

Best regards,

Gerry

PS:
                        By the way, I did the Google search and found my thrill in the package!
                        THANK YOU, DMennenoh.

• 9. Re: Back button in Flash
                          GerryIsHere Level 1
                          quote:

Originally posted by: WebXperience
                          Performing a Google Search is good advice. I noticed that in your original posting that you didn't mention whether you had already tried searching Google. So it seems like a good idea to advise you to try Google while he researches further on. Don't you?

No, it is not.
                          Because everybody looking for something is, nowadays, performing first a Google search.

And I did it.
                          I looked for: Flash back button
                          and got many results.
                          Strange, but SWF Address wasn't mentioned.

This term (SWF Address) doesn't reflect for me the core of the back button issue...

This is my final posting for this topic which I consider as solved.
                          • 10. Re: Back button in Flash
                            kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                            yes, it's tempting to be unpleasant especially when things don't seem to be going well. but that's risky in this forum because the over-whelming majority of people in this forum are not only trying to help, but almost always offer very good advice.

in particular, DMennenoh gave very helpful advice in this thread. so, credit where it's due. (and all's well that ends well.)
                            • 11. Re: Back button in Flash
                              Level 7
                              My answer was not try google - I said look for SWFAddress and your reply -
                              since you could not even type that phrase into Google was ???????. So I said
                              Try Google. Maybe you need this outlined for you:

1. Open Browser.
                              2. Go to www.google.com
                              3. In the search field type in 'swfaddress'
                              4. Do some reading.

Is that better for you Gerry?

--
                              Dave -
                              Head Developer
                              Adobe Community Expert

• 12. Re: Back button in Flash
                                Greg Dove Level 4
                                Gerry I think your mistake here was 'not believing' the original post as well as misinterpreting the good advice you received - the google advice was only because you didn't follow the original advice to search for swfAddress (so 'use google' was very appropriate in the context: the assumption was that you didn't know how to 'search' because you hadn't found the information - that is - apart from being a little surprising - a reasonable assumption if you hadn't found the information). Now.. I believe others are misinterpreting your explanation... which by the way didn't include any form of apology, only an acknowledgement that the answer was correct... along with a suggestion that it wasn't 'good' enough:

'DMennenoh, you should have wrote a short explanation.
                                Something like: ...SWF Address is a package of scripts, for example'

I'd like to say something about that part...(not with any confrontational intent... just facts)
                                People answer the questions here voluntarily, so you shouldn't expect a level of support that is absolutely customised to your individual needs. Nor should you assume that your requirements are the same as everyone else's. But in general, I think the 'solve' rate for problems raised in this forum is very high. And there are a lot of very helpful contributors. Please remember that people who post answers here don't make money from doing so, and are often busy doing lots of other things as I'm sure you are too.
                                So it's normal to provide a quick reply, maybe with a follow up if the other person says they don't understand the first reply etc. Exactly what seemed to happen here, although it was further complicated by the fact that you did not follow the first piece of advice you received.