14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2018 2:10 AM by Trevor_Asq

Multicam sequence audio assignment problem

David Fab Level 1

Hello !

A have small assignment worries of sound track in Premiere Pro.

- I created a multicam sequence of an ITW with 3 cameras and 6 sound tracks (3 cameras sounds + 3 others with external recorder and mics)
      - I create another sequence in which I import the first, to be able to cut in it and to make my derush of the ITW.

Problem: When I drag the first sequence (multicam) in the second (derush), I recover my 6 channels
      , but the 6 are the same (duplicated) ...

I check 6 stereo channels in "sequence settings" of my multicam sequence, but I don't understand why I have this problem ...

An idea ? Thank you !

pb.jpg

• 2. Re: Multicam sequence audio assignment problem
          David Fab Level 1

Thank's, but that's exactly what I did, it does't solve my paudio channel problem.

Each time I have to do a multicam sequence, and drag it into a new sequence (or right click that sequence and choose New Sequence From Clip), I have to copy audio sources from the first sequence into he target sequence ... And it doesn't seems to be the proper way, because all the audio tracks are unlinked from the multicam video, and if I loose one audio track after derushing 2h of ITW, I can't do a match frame to recover the 6 different audio channels ... I always have 6 duplicated audio channels ... I don't understand why ...

1 person found this helpful
          • 3. Re: Multicam sequence audio assignment problem
            Jim_Simon Level 9

I have to copy audio sources from the first sequence into he target sequence

No you don't.  Audio is included when nesting.

If you want access to the individual channels in the Multicam Target sequence, you'll have to do things non-standardly and add them manually, but this is unavoidable.  It's just how PP does multicam, using nested sequences.

• 4. Re: Multicam sequence audio assignment problem
              David Fab Level 1

Thank's Jim, but I don't understand ...

You say that audio can be nested, you mean that my 6 channels can be nested ? THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I WANT.

But, as you can see in the picture above (1st post), when I take my multicam sequence (with 6 channels audio nested) and drag it into an other sequence, I have 6 duplicated channels, and no 6 different channels ...

And I have a big problem with a documentary project which was not well structured. The 6 channels audio were copy/paste from the multicam video into the target sequence (and no nested like you do it ... for hours and hours of  ITW's ...). And during the cutting, someone made bad manipulations ... some audios channels were desynchronisated, crushed, erased ...

I want to make a match frame in each cuts of multicam video to recover the 6 audio channels of the synchronised multicam sequence ... And no way to do this simple things correctly, because these 6 channels are exactly the sames.

Do you understand better ? (sory for my bad english ...)

• 5. Re: Multicam sequence audio assignment problem
                Trevor_Asq Level 4

You are running into the limitations of PP Multicam implementation, as I understand it.

I'd love to have the control you are looking for but any variation of channel options when building the multicam does not seem to give a consistent result once flattened.

It's particularly flaky if there are any edits in the audio tracks in the multicam sequence (e.g. normal double sound arrangement).

Only way I can work with Mcam audio is to not use it and only use Mcam for the pictures.

To get around your problem can you match frame to the Mcam sequence but then overwrite as individual clips?

• 6. Re: Multicam sequence audio assignment problem
                  Trevor_Asq Level 4

Maybe go and add a request - these two were the only ones I could find and they are not very descriptive.

Switch audio in multicam – Adobe video & audio apps

disappearing audio when flattening a multiclip – Adobe video & audio apps

• 7. Re: Multicam sequence audio assignment problem
                    David Fab Level 1

Ok, that's what I feared ...

Surprising for a software like this not to have an easy way to keep 6 audio tracks nested from a multicam sequence into the target sequence ... How do the sound editor or mixers ?

Into my target sequence, to recover my 6 audios tracks and be sure they are sync to my picture Mcam, I have to make a match frame in a cut of the picture Mcam, copy / paste TC IN and TC OUT of the source monitor into the multicam sequence timeline, cut my 6 audio tracks, et drag and drop them below the Mcam picture into the target sequence. Laborious ... I spend 2 days for doing that for each cuts !

• 9. Re: Multicam sequence audio assignment problem
                      Trevor_Asq Level 4

If you set the mode to edit individual clips, rather than the nest, then you shouldn’t need to copy/paste timecodes.

Should be be able to set a macro to do it...

(Assumes your multicam seq is set up right - I’ve not done this though)

Mark clip

Match frame to multi-cam

Overwrite

Switch to Sequence

Next edit

Repeat

• 10. Re: Multicam sequence audio assignment problem
                        Trevor_Asq Level 4

OK I faffed around a bit more and have figured out a way to achieve what you want (I think).

Firstly, when creating your multicam sequence you must use a preset with multichannel (rather than stereo) audio. Otherwise your multicam sequence can only have 2 audio outputs.

Group your cameras & sep sound (I had 'all audio' selected).

Open the resultant multicam timeline as a timeline and rearrange audio so that the correct audios are on the correct tracks (for my test I had an 8 channel wav file on first 8 tracks then 4 stereo pairs from the cameras on the next 4 tracks) - and delete empty audio tracks.

Open audio track mixer and route the audio correctly (e.g. in my example A1 should be panned left and routed to outputs 1&2, A9 was a stereo pair routed to outputs 9&10)

Modify audio for the multicam clip so that it reflects the correct number of audio clips (16 mono in my case)

Edit that mulitcam clip into a timeline with correct number of audio tracks - I now had 16 (8 x mono from the dual sound and 4 x stereos that appear as monos) tracks on the timeline, with 16 different audio tracks, all showing a sync relationship with the multicam clips, that I could then edit.

Flattening *appeared* to produce the correct results (with the caveat that more than one audio clip in a multicam source timeline track does lose clips when flattening).

Yet to use this in anger though....

• 11. Re: Multicam sequence audio assignment problem
                          Trevor_Asq Level 4

On further inspection:

a. when enabling multicamera, prior to flattening, the audio only appears from muliticam tracks 1&2

b. flattening restores the correct clips but some clips do not have any source tracks enabled

• 12. Re: Multicam sequence audio assignment problem
                            Trevor_Asq Level 4

******************************************************

If you are coming to this because of your frustrations with PP multicam audio - vote for this on the Adobe voice site.

Better audio management for multicam sequence – Adobe video & audio apps

******************************************************

• 13. Re: Multicam sequence audio assignment problem
                              David Fab Level 1

Hello Trevor, and sorry for my late answer.

Thank's for your detailed process. I'll try it soon.

• 14. Re: Multicam sequence audio assignment problem
                                Trevor_Asq Level 4

I kind of answered myself David. It's a clusterf*** and one must AVOID enabling multicam on audio clips - there are serious bugs if you do. Better to avoid multicam altogether I think.