• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Locked forms with editable fields question.

New Here ,
Sep 16, 2018 Sep 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hoping someone can answer with certainty so we can take this issue up with IT/CORP. We use locked verbiage documents with editable fields for our contracts. When we complete a contract we can only print it, not save it. So if a client wants to change anything in the editable fields, we have to retype the entire contract (all the editable parts). I am curious if these two feature are mutually exclusive. It makes sense to me that you should be able to save a document with the main body of  text locked and the editable fields intact so that if we need to make a change, we can just edit that field. I don't know enough about adobe to know the answer. If someone can tell me absolutely, we can take the issue up with the corporate office and maybe be a little more efficient.

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's hard to say without knowing more. In general, a form can indeed be saved and the contents of the form fields can later be edited. After a document is signed, the document (or some or all of certain fields) can be locked to prevent further changes, or the document can be flattened, preventing  further changes. The specifics depend on what type of signatures are used, digital or e-signatures (i.e., Adobe Sign). So there are a lot of details to consider.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lets remove the signature part of this conversation, this is just pertaining to editing security features not digital signatures. I apologize in advance if this was posted to the wrong community, it made sense at the time. Also if I misunderstand something related to signatures.

No one changes the document from the time that I download it from the web server to when I fill it out and print it. I can download and save a blank copy of the form with editable fields intact. A notification pops up when I open the document that says "this form cannot be saved, only printed". But here's where I feel like it's doable, it's already saved with the editable fields intact, I feel like it's just the save function that's disabled. What difference to the program is it if there is data in the editable fields or not? Finally when we print, we can print it to PDF but of course, that flattens it and removes the editable fields.

I guess another way to ask my question is: Is locking the save feature and locking the text (leaving editable fields intact) 2 separate things? Could we not just have the text locked with editable fields? Their logic is that they don't want anyone editing the verbiage of the contract. I don't understand why the save is disabled, it seems to serve no functions UNLESS the 2 features are inseparable in Adobe. I don't know how Adobe handles these functions.

Hope that gives some more details to go on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also happy to supply a copy of the form if you want to take a look. I'm fishing for a concrete answer so we can argue our position to the person that created the form. I think they just locked it and won't consider redoing the security because they don't understand the functions effect. If I'm wrong, so be it, but we are burning a lot of man hours retyping the contracts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Normally that message means that Reader cannot save. Older versions of Reader were like that if the form was not Reader-enabled. All versions of Acrobat are able to save fillable forms. If you're using Acrobat and you're not able to save the form you're working with, it would be helpful to see the form. If it's available online, you can post a link here, or upload it somewhere and provide a link. If neither of those will work, I can give an email address via private message here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines