5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2008 11:41 AM by ture_sventon

Flash 9 panoramic 3D pictures how to?

ture_sventon
      Sorry for the perhaps misleading headline, sorry for my bad english, but I have seen that from Flashplayer 9 it is possible with showing 3D bitmaps instead of 2D bitmaps, there are a few softwares that makes panoramas that are shown perspectively correct and not just like a bitmap moving around like mine are, instead of buying software and having no control I want to do it myself, is it possible? Are there somewhere new actionsscripts somehwere for this new fantastic to happen? And some leading and help to understand them. Can I use them in Flash MX 2004 or must I buy the latest Flash?
      ?
      Thanx for all information I can get in beforehand.

Regards Jochum

BTW if you wonder what I'm talking about: www.illustrata.com
      just 2D for the moment...
        • 1. Re: Flash 9 panoramic 3D pictures how to?
          Level 7
          Hi Ture,

For both ActionScript 2.0 and 3.0 (though Flash 9 is recommended for
          real preformance), have a look at the open-source Papervision 3D classes at:
          http://blog.papervision3d.org/

These are true panoramas, wrapped to spherical projections like this:
          http://www.papervision3d.org/demos/panorama/

Adobe even endorses this library (it really is that good). Here's an
          Adobe tutorial on creating realtime 3D-projected video (yes, it even works
          with realtime video):
          http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/articles/flash_video_3d_02.html

The BNMAPI I'm developing for ActionScript 3.0 has Papervision 3D
          integrated but that won't be ready for a bit so I'd recommend checking out
          the one and only!

Regards,
          Patrick Bay
          BAY NEW MEDIA

"ture sventon" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:fnt7n8$mh8$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Sorry for the perhaps misleading headline, sorry for my bad english, but I
          > have
          > seen that from Flashplayer 9 it is possible with showing 3D bitmaps
          > instead of
          > 2D bitmaps, there are a few softwares that makes panoramas that are shown
          > perspectively correct and not just like a bitmap moving around like mine
          > are,
          > instead of buying software and having no control I want to do it myself,
          > is it
          > possible? Are there somewhere new actionsscripts somehwere for this new
          > fantastic to happen? And some leading and help to understand them. Can I
          > use
          > them in Flash MX 2004 or must I buy the latest Flash?
          > ?
          > Thanx for all information I can get in beforehand.
          >
          > Regards Jochum
          >
          > BTW if you wonder what I'm talking about: www.illustrata.com
          > just 2D for the moment...
          >

• 2. Re: Flash 9 panoramic 3D pictures how to?
            ture_sventon Level 1
            Hi and thanx. What a great panorama you showed!
            Really. However, the not so straight lines in the picture (the bookshelfs) is quite disturbing, that I am not interested in, those other engines I´ve seen (and that I must pay for) was better in that way. And then if I shall be frank this was a little above my head, a bit harder than I thought, I'm no scripting guru.
            Also it seems I have to buy an upgrade to Flash CS3 (can´t do Actionscript 3.0 with FlashMX 2004 right?) which I do not afford right now so I must say very much thanks for the help, but I cannot cope with this right now.

However I´m interested in future to follow the BNMAPI you are working on what that gives.

Regards Jochum (My real name btw, Ture is something wrong I did long ago)
            • 3. Re: Flash 9 panoramic 3D pictures how to?
              Level 7
              Hi Jochum,

First of all, you're right, there were some distortions in the panorama,
              but this was probably due to the low number of polygons used. If you click
              (and hold) on the picture, you can see the polygon shapes. I can't honestly
              say I've seen any other 3D engines for Flash (commercial or not), but you
              don't need to update Flash. This works with both AS2 (MX2004 and Flash 8)
              and AS3. However, I don't think you can get away from scripting regardless
              of which libary you use. It's true that Papervision could be a bit more user
              friendly; hopefully the API will help with that.

Regards,
              Patrick Bay
              BAY NEW MEDIA

"ture sventon" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:fnvlg8$d96$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Hi and thanx. What a great panorama you showed!
              > Really. However, the not so straight lines in the picture (the bookshelfs)
              > is
              > quite disturbing, that I am not interested in, those other engines I?ve
              > seen
              > (and that I must pay for) was better in that way. And then if I shall be
              > frank
              > this was a little above my head, a bit harder than I thought, I'm no
              > scripting
              > guru.
              > Also it seems I have to buy an upgrade to Flash CS3 (can?t do Actionscript
              > 3.0
              > with FlashMX 2004 right?) which I do not afford right now so I must say
              > very
              > much thanks for the help, but I cannot cope with this right now.
              >
              > However I?m interested in future to follow the BNMAPI you are working on
              > what
              > that gives.
              >
              > Regards Jochum (My real name btw, Ture is something wrong I did long ago)
              >

• 4. Re: Flash 9 panoramic 3D pictures how to?
                ture_sventon Level 1
                Hi again Patrick!
                Now I got interested again!! This sounds promising, yes the polygons are quite large and it is very fluid, rapidly moving though so very big panorama, so I guess it could do with _at least_ twice as many polygons but yet retain the fluideness.

FYI what other engines or what to call them I was thinking on:
                http://gardengnomesoftware.com/pano2vr_sample.php (with video too!)
                http://www.immervision.com/en/home/index.php

Sounds interesting though this, I can do some little scripting (of course thats a big part of Flash), with a little help maybe I can tweak them into something I can have on my site hopefully, and give a much closer to a naturally look with perspective on my panoramas.
                Have another work this week but then I shall dig into this more, thanx very much Patrick!

Regards Jochum
                • 5. Re: Flash 9 panoramic 3D pictures how to?
                  ture_sventon Level 1
                  Hmm... got some success with that tutorial by Paul Spitzer, could load my own swf and see it spin, however when I tried to make a cube-mesh in Blender all got wrong, not much info how I should export the cube, the whole scene or just the cube, which collada version, matrix or not, must I name the cube inside Blender and how do I do that and so on, I tried many different things but none was successfully. Some idea someone?