Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changes on Dublicated Layers

Explorer ,
Sep 17, 2018 Sep 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

I duplicated my puppet to set the left and right view (mostly because I didn't want to rig it three times) But now I needed to change the arm in Illustrator. Changes just appeared in the default view. Those two duplicated layers just showed no arm at all anymore. Is there a way to duplicate the arm and put it back into that layer? That would also help with heads, because it's enough work to set tiggers for one set of heads with 4 different expressions.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's interesting. How did you duplicate -- export two different puppet versions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I duplicated the default view in character animator, like it was shown in one of Dave Werners Tutorials. Changing something in Ai works, if you only change it, not add or delete paths, I realized. But now my character doesn't have a arm anymore, when she walks, because I added a Tattoo. If I had made the arm thinner for example it would have worked. Anyways I would like to duplicate the updated arm into the left and right profiles in Ch, if it is even possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may be an Illustrator problem, and I do not use Ai that much so can't really say. But I did try it with a Photoshop puppet and it seemed to work. I added a tattoo to each of the arms in the psd file, and they showed up as expected in CH on the original puppet and the duplicate.

The only thing I see that might be an issue is that in the duplicate puppet the arms are reversed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Renaming layers and changing depths can get CH confused. I never sat down to work out what works and does not. Eg reordering children is fine, but anything more complex can mess up. Sometimes if the tree change is too much you just have to re-rig it afterwards.

Some possibly useful tricks in case any help

- you can export and import a puppet to have a clean copy (not related to previous puppet - eg artwork also copied)

- you can replace the artwork safely if layers have same structure and names.

- you can rename and duplicate some things inside ch (in the puppet heirachy) and create groups etc. You may be able to restructure a copy of one puppet then attach it to another artwork file and preserve rigging, but it’s tricky.

Frequently I find it quicker to just re-rig and be done with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you both! I will add all changes I want to do and duplicate the Default again. Won't be that much work, but still... Maybe it will be added in a later version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines