Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smart previews missing

Explorer ,
Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I usually have yearly Lightroom catalogues and today i opened up last years catalogue and all of my photos are saying "photo is missing" and my smart previews are all gone too?

I haven't changed anything related to these photos apart from I recently renamed the catalogue. Could this have had an affect on my smart previews? How do i find the smart previews?

In the catalogue folder i have the "Catalogue Smart Previews.lrdata" file in both the old and new name of my catalogue.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

The preview and smart preview folders need to have the very same names as the catalog.

If you rename only the catalog, you loose the other ones.

Rename the catalog back to what it was, what the old smart preview folder is named, or delete the new smart preview folder and rename the old one to what the catalog is named now.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The preview and smart preview folders need to have the very same names as the catalog.

If you rename only the catalog, you loose the other ones.

Rename the catalog back to what it was, what the old smart preview folder is named, or delete the new smart preview folder and rename the old one to what the catalog is named now.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!! All sorted!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to be clear, restoring the Smart Previews folders back to the correct name will NOT have sorted out any problems you have with missing photos......on the contrary it actually can mask the fact that photos may be missing. Your original post strongly implies that in fact some of your photos are indeed missing, so I suggest you run the Library menu command "Find All Missing Photos" to see what is reported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim

Yeah I won’t go into it but the originals are all gone!! Completely changed my workflow and backup system now so hopefully it won’t happen again.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... huuuhhh ...

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i appear to have inadvertently renamed the catalog by moving my photos to a different external drive (all 3 of my external drives are connected, if that makes a difference), and in so doing, i am having the problem of missing smart previews. Could you advise me how to find which file needs to be renamed? Thank you sry for the elementary question. A matter of great importance. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

i should add. I moved the photos (by changing where originals would be saved), it moved my entire catalog's number of photos, then when i clicked on smart previews, they disappeared and i could actually see the number of photos drop. I am in a state of high anxiety over this; grateful for any help. pardon my lack of understanding for the file system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines