Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can distiller create PDF 2.0 files?

New Here ,
Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

Can Adobe Distiller create PDF 2.0 files? Which product can I buy and install to have my own personal Distiller application?

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Sep 20, 2018 Sep 20, 2018

Acrobat Distiller does not currently produce PDF 2.0 files. And it is questionable whether Distiller (as opposed to other Adobe applications) will ever produce PDF files tagged as PDF 2.0.

That having been said, exactly what PDF 2.0 features do you expect to find in a PDF file created from PostScript which is effectively a subset of PDF 1.3?

Other than some new version of direct PDF RIPs that claim PDF 2.0 support for certain PDF features, there is nothing that we know of that would require PDF 2.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Distiller comes with Adobe Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can Adobe Distiller create PDF 2.0 files?

Not at the moment, AFAIK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Distiller does not currently produce PDF 2.0 files. And it is questionable whether Distiller (as opposed to other Adobe applications) will ever produce PDF files tagged as PDF 2.0.

That having been said, exactly what PDF 2.0 features do you expect to find in a PDF file created from PostScript which is effectively a subset of PDF 1.3?

Other than some new version of direct PDF RIPs that claim PDF 2.0 support for certain PDF features, there is nothing that we know of that would require PDF 2.0.

For printing, virtually all the PDF 2.0 features would require (1) PDF/X-6, a standard that is still in development and probably won't be finalized until very late 2019/early 2020 as well as applications and workflow products that actually could generate and make use of same.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dov,

Good day!

Actually, I am conducting a study on what applications or utilities that can generate PDF 2.0 files. I am in a printing company and we are planning to support PDF 2.0 files as one of our supported PDLs and that is why I am eager to know which adobe applications or utilities that could help me create these files for our testing purposes. I would be very glad if you can point me on all your products that could generate these PDF 2.0 files.

I hope to hear from you again.

Thank you so much and your help is greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 21, 2018 Sep 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

At this point, assume that no real world applications generate files that use actual PDF 2.0 features that weren't already implemented as PDF 1.7 extensions over the years by Adobe.

No Adobe applications or tools support direct PDF 2.0 generation although our PDF library is beginning to support aspects of PDF 2.0.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines