• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ray traced 3D obsolete - what will replace it

Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For 3D text, AE users can either use an adobe-admitted obsolete engine (ray traced 3D), the cinema4D engine within AE, or create the text in C4D.

Given that creating text in C4D limits the ability to change them or their appearance in AE, does adobe have plans to replace the ray traced engine with something else?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

MikeHoium  wrote

except for the massive shortcoming that you can't use masks on 3D layers when using the Cinema4D renderer

Among others.

I highly doubt Adobe has plans to take another stab at functional 3D.

I'm sure you're aware of Element 3D which is only $200 & very easy to use.

For just a few more $$ you could get Stardust which has a steeper learning curve then E3D but also includes all the functionality of

Red Giant's Particular, Form & Tao.  It also has dynamic rigid body and particle collisions

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

C4D Renderer is the replace. It’s almost the same in terms of functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

except for the massive shortcoming that you can't use masks on 3D layers when using the Cinema4D renderer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MikeHoium  wrote

Among others.

I highly doubt Adobe has plans to take another stab at functional 3D.

I'm sure you're aware of Element 3D which is only $200 & very easy to use.

For just a few more $$ you could get Stardust which has a steeper learning curve then E3D but also includes all the functionality of

Red Giant's Particular, Form & Tao.  It also has dynamic rigid body and particle collisions. 

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an equivalent to Stardust available at a lower cost?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really.  Not that I know of.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 20, 2018 Sep 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the case with most/all plug-ins, their actions can be perofrmed/replicated in AE without them - they just save a lot of time and effort to do so, would you say?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Sep 20, 2018 Sep 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

craigi35826625  wrote

As the case with most/all plug-ins, their actions can be perofrmed/replicated in AE without them - they just save a lot of time and effort to do so, would you say?

I wouldn't say that.  That may be the case with some plug-ins or scripts that basically just run a bunch of native AE functions but plug-ins like Element3D & Stardust are coded from scratch.   I mean anybody with the creativity & coding abilities could create a plug-in for After Effects so in sense I guess it's true...Buying Stardust is easier and faster than coding that functionality yourself (which could take years assuming you have the skills required) but what it does cannot be replicated in After Effects just using the available "out of the box" tools.  If that makes sense.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can't do this on raytraced 3d as well. comparing the two here. C4D Renderer is more limited on disabled features but both don't accept masks on shapes/text or CR/CT precomps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines