3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2009 5:12 AM by Newsgroup_User

Upgrade questions

christinett Level 1
      I have an active website using a database and extensions. If I upgrade from MX 2004 to CS3 or CS4, will I lose anything? Will I have to create a new site, reset preferences and settings, re-install extensions, re-establish database connections, etc.? Will the interface be familiar enough that I can carry on what I've been doing without having to immediately learn anything new? I need answers to all these questions before I decide to upgrade...thanks.
        • 1. Re: Upgrade questions
          Level 7
          > will I lose anything?

You shouldn't.

> Will I have to create a new site,
          > reset preferences and settings, re-install extensions, re-establish
          > database
          > connections, etc.?

If you upgrade to CS4, you will have to re-activate your extensions. But
          they will already be migrated into Extension Manager for you to do this.

> Will the interface be familiar enough that I can carry on
          > what I've been doing without having to immediately learn anything new?

Although the UI is different, it's basically similar. You should be fine.

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"christinett" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gkdksk$t20$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I have an active website using a database and extensions. If I upgrade
          >from MX
          > 2004 to CS3 or CS4, will I lose anything? Will I have to create a new
          > site,
          > reset preferences and settings, re-install extensions, re-establish
          > database
          > connections, etc.? Will the interface be familiar enough that I can carry
          > on
          > what I've been doing without having to immediately learn anything new? I
          > need
          > answers to all these questions before I decide to upgrade...thanks.
          >

• 2. Re: Upgrade questions
            Level 7
            christinett wrote:
            > I have an active website using a database and extensions. If I upgrade from MX
            > 2004 to CS3 or CS4, will I lose anything? Will I have to create a new site,
            > reset preferences and settings, re-install extensions, re-establish database
            > connections, etc.? Will the interface be familiar enough that I can carry on
            > what I've been doing without having to immediately learn anything new? I need

There was a change in the server behaviours code in Dreamweaver 8.02
            that prevented SQL injection hacking attempts. All recordsets and server
            behaviours need to be reapplied.

http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb06-07.html

Dooza
            • 3. Re: Upgrade questions
              Level 7
              christinett wrote:
              > I have an active website using a database and extensions. If I upgrade from MX
              > 2004 to CS3 or CS4, will I lose anything? Will I have to create a new site,
              > reset preferences and settings, re-install extensions, re-establish database
              > connections, etc.? Will the interface be familiar enough that I can carry on
              > what I've been doing without having to immediately learn anything new? I need

Also, whilst you won't need to reinstall your extensions, you might need
              the newer versions, as many weren't compatible with CS3, some are still
              be rewritten for CS4, so you need to check with the author of all your
              extensions before enabling them after the upgrade.

Dooza