• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Latest streaming advice for Character Animator?

LEGEND ,
Sep 20, 2018 Sep 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just browsing around Character Animator support for streaming, but had not seen any updates recently. Just wondering if there was any newer advice I had not seen (or just forgot! 😉

For example, if I have no external monitor, nothing comes up in CH as a streaming destination (after I enable mercury transport). When I turn on an external monitor, the two screens appear. Selecting a monitor sends the video to that monitor (cool!). But when I start up OBS Studio, it does not appear as an output source in CH. Should it?

Reading the docs at Adobe Character Animator Help | Stream a scene live  it feels like a step is missing in the instructions. I have OBS Studio, but when I start it up it does not appear as an output source. There is mention of the NDI Plugin, but no mention if that is extra software I need to install or something built into various applications. E.g. do I need to install an NDI plugin to OBS Studio? Or is it a CH plugin?

Also, is there better software than OBS Studio to use these days? What is the best recommended approach to stream a live character

1. by itself - it is the whole video
  2. superimposed over some other video stream (which I assume OBS Studio or similar would do) - oksamurai​ mentioned in the April 2017 I think an application called "wiretricks?". Is that still good software to use?

Any advice appreciated!  Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 20, 2018 Sep 20, 2018

To my understanding, Syphon works on MAC and NDI works on Mac & PC. I don't recall if OBS supports NDI yet. Other popular apps people have used with CH are Vmix and Wirecast. Yes, NDI is a plugin you need to get from Newtek's site to allow you to get a signal from CH into other applications.

As for livestream techniques, I've seen it done both ways - both work, it just depends on what you're trying to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To my understanding, Syphon works on MAC and NDI works on Mac & PC. I don't recall if OBS supports NDI yet. Other popular apps people have used with CH are Vmix and Wirecast. Yes, NDI is a plugin you need to get from Newtek's site to allow you to get a signal from CH into other applications.

As for livestream techniques, I've seen it done both ways - both work, it just depends on what you're trying to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I found it - NewTek NDI for Adobe Creative Cloud. OBS has a NDI plugin acording to Google searches as well. Thanks for the quick response! I will give it a try tonight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Works like a charm! Nice! 

Now if I could just use my HTC Vive hand and headset positional controllers to control drag points and head of the character. Looks like the Adobe Captivate team are doing VR stuff - maybe they have some code you can steal? ;-). (The HTC Vive / Oculus / whatever controllers would make it easy to move both hands and head at the same time - maybe have direction you are looking with headset to control eye position... The controllers have a number of buttons as well. I think you would really need a full app with monitor window inside however as with the headset on you could not see the screen any more! 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines