11 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2008 9:23 AM by zagnutty

Export Video w/ Alpha Channel

SlowX
      There's a lot of talk about importing video w/ an alpha channel, but how can I export video from Flash?

I read that I can do it as a QuickTime file, but it doesn;t seem to work in reality:
      http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/flash/articles/flash_to_video_06.html

Any tips?

End result is I want to create an animation in Flash, export it as a MOV file w/ the background transparent, and tehn use that in Apple Final Cut pro 4.5.

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Export Video w/ Alpha Channel
          Level 7
          you know - I have no idea why, but I never included this in that article! I may have to edit it. For
          now here's how:

In Flash, create a new layer and move it to the bottom of your timeline. In color mixer, mix anu
          color with alpha set to 0%. Use the rectangle tool to draw a shape the same siz (or larger) than
          your stage size. Now when you export to quicktime, choose "millions of colors +" (the "+" refers to
          an alpha channel) and your movie's background will be transparent.

I got to go edit that article - thanks for bringing this to my attention!

-chris

--> Adobe Certified Expert (ACE)
          --> www.mudbubble.com :: www.keyframer.com
          --> http://flashmx2004.com/forums/index.php?
          --> http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/flash/articles/animation_guide.html
          --> http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*flash*&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

SlowX wrote:
          > There's a lot of talk about importing video w/ an alpha channel, but how can I
          > export video from Flash?
          >
          > I read that I can do it as a QuickTime file, but it doesn;t seem to work in
          > reality:
          > http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/flash/articles/flash_to_video_06.html
          >
          > Any tips?
          >
          > End result is I want to create an animation in Flash, export it as a MOV file
          > w/ the background transparent, and tehn use that in Apple Final Cut pro 4.5.
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          • 2. Re: Export Video w/ Alpha Channel
            SlowX Level 1
            Thanks for the quick answer Chris, but it's still not working for me.

Just to be sure:
            I have the layer with the color set to 0% Alpha Channel.
            I'm using Flash 8; I select File>Export>Export Movie
            Then I choose "QuickTime Video" as the format (as opposed to simply "QuickTime").
            In the next dialog box there's no place to choose "Millions +" (I think I had that in Flash MX), instead there's "32 bit color (alpha channel)" and I can choose my compression format style. Picking either Sorenson 3 or "None" gives me no tranparent background when I import the file into FinalCutPro.

Am I missing something? Or...?
            • 3. Re: Export Video w/ Alpha Channel
              Level 7
              Hmmm - you are on a Mac and I am not - I will try to find somebody who know how to do this on a MAc.....

--> http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*flash*&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

SlowX wrote:
              > Thanks for the quick answer Chris, but it's still not working for me.
              >
              > Just to be sure:
              > I have the layer with the color set to 0% Alpha Channel.
              > I'm using Flash 8; I select File>Export>Export Movie
              > Then I choose "QuickTime Video" as the format (as opposed to simply
              > "QuickTime").
              > In the next dialog box there's no place to choose "Millions +" (I think I had
              > that in Flash MX), instead there's "32 bit color (alpha channel)" and I can
              > choose my compression format style. Picking either Sorenson 3 or "None" gives
              > me no tranparent background when I import the file into FinalCutPro.
              >
              > Am I missing something? Or...?
              >
              • 4. Re: Export Video w/ Alpha Channel
                Level 7
                From the options dialog box choose alpha-transparent from alpha drop-down
                list - make sure this is selected.

SlowX wrote:
                >
                > Just to be sure:
                > "QuickTime").
                >
                >
                • 5. Re: Export Video w/ Alpha Channel
                  Level 7
                  I just did it from my win machine where win does not have export "quicktime video" but only
                  "quicktime" option - this exports an swf into the QT wrapper - win users have to have QT Pro to then
                  open the new "mov" containing the SWf and then export again as a true "MOV" video file which has the
                  option of millions of colors + - i have to research the Mac on this one - it exports differently.

SlowX wrote:
                  >
                  > Just to be sure:
                  > "QuickTime").
                  >
                  >
                  • 6. Re: Export Video w/ Alpha Channel
                    SlowX Level 1
                    I'm trying on a Mac, but I'm not having any luck (the export from QTPro is failing).

QTPro on the Mac has different options than Windows it seems. When I export "Movie to QuickTime Movie" I have tons of options regarding compression format, size, filters, etc., but no mention (that I can see) for color or alpha channels. And when I try to export using Apple's H.264 format, it fails.

When I do a "Save as..." and try to simply resave it as a "Self-contained movie" the resulting movie is flat: no alpha channel.

But it all works in Windows, eh?
                    Hmmm.....
                    • 7. Re: Export Video w/ Alpha Channel
                      Level 7
                      darn - i must be missing something - choose "Animation" compression and then let me know if you have
                      success.

SlowX wrote:
                      > I'm trying on a Mac, but I'm not having any luck (the export from QTPro is
                      > failing).
                      >
                      > QTPro on the Mac has different options than Windows it seems. When I export
                      > "Movie to QuickTime Movie" I have tons of options regarding compression format,
                      > size, filters, etc., but no mention (that I can see) for color or alpha
                      > channels. And when I try to export using Apple's H.264 format, it fails.
                      >
                      > When I do a "Save as..." and try to simply resave it as a "Self-contained
                      > movie" the resulting movie is flat: no alpha channel.
                      >
                      > But it all works in Windows, eh?
                      > Hmmm.....
                      >
                      • 8. Re: Export Video w/ Alpha Channel
                        SlowX Level 1
                        That adds an alpha channel, but it's a flat one: I still have the background from my Flash file.

I tried it as a flattened MOV and as a linked MOV in Flash... no go either way.

• 9. Re: Export Video w/ Alpha Channel
                          shelleyfish Level 1
                          Hey,

I'm trying to export video from Flash to After Effects with a transparent background. I did it the way Chris said by adding a rectangle with alpha set to 0%. This does work but the edges are a bit jagged when viewed in After effects. Is there any way of exporting as an swf file with transparency ? (the quality is soooo much nicer!) I know this is possible for an internet video using the wmode function but is there something simular for video?

Thanks

Shell
                          • 10. Re: Export Video w/ Alpha Channel
                            t_tom
                            I'm having the same problem:

I'm having trouble figuring out how to export an animation I've created in Flash as a Quicktime Video with transparent (alpha channel) background. My client wants to import it into Final Cut and have I play over a video track.

I've used the "export movie" feature in flash with the following settings. (I have Quicktime Pro installed.)

Format: 32 bit color (alpha channel)

Compressor: Animation

Quality Default setting

Sound 44Hz

maybe there's nothing wrong with my export settings... maybe I need to specify a layer in my flash movie as the alpha channel? I can't find any documentation to help!

Anyone have a clue?

See an example-->
                            http://www.element-group.net/brini/trans_vertical.html

The white background will need to me transparent to reveal the video track.

Thanks
                            • 11. Re: Export Video w/ Alpha Channel
                              zagnutty
                              Hello,
                              Did you ever get a solution to this?