3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2008 3:47 PM by ntsiii

Is this possible?

.Aspect.
      I want to be able to host my flex application on multiple client servers and have them communicate with a database located on my server.

I'm new to this whole flash/flex stuff, so I'm not entirely sure how this works. But I would expect to give the clients a snippet of code (javascript maybe?) with configurable property values (color changing options, member GUID for authentication, etc). When they paste the code in their webpage, it displays the flash application. It would then make a database call to my server, display the results for the user to interact with. When they click a link, it makes another database call to update my database with their selection, and returns a new recordset.

Is this possible? If so, what type of developer am I needing to look for? What would be the best buzz words to use when describing the project?

Thanks in advance!
        • 1. Re: Is this possible?
          camfieldaj Level 1
          Flex applications run in the Flash player plugin of the respective browser of the end user. So, the client is distributed, but can access and update data in a central database. It works really well with MySQL using PHP as an intermediate bridge. I don't know for sure, but I would bet that all major DBMS are supported. Once I get my copy of the retail version, I'll be able to tell you for sure. Flex applications are coded in a combination of MXML and ActionScript. I suspect that these are descended in some way from all the *Nix languages. I'm a C/C++/PERL/PHP programmer and it was very easy for me to pick up.
          • 2. Re: Is this possible?
            .Aspect. Level 1
            Ok, that sounds good. Just wanted to make sure it was possible before I put the project up for bidding at rentacoder. Ideally, I'll have a MSSQL database.

Thanks for the input.

• 3. Re: Is this possible?
              ntsiii Level 3
              Yes, definitely doable.

Flex is a client-side, presentation technology. It is "back-end" agnostic, mostly. How you connect to the back-end, and what that back end is depends on exactly what you want to d, and how much you want to pay. At the simplest, and free level, a flex app can communicate with any source the can use XML-over-HTTP(ajax), SOAP- based webservices, and RemoteObject, which is used with cold fusion and Java natively, and with other back-ends using third party tools like WebOrb.

Flex also supports sockets, and for full-blown enterprise-level data access, it can use Adobe LCDS.

Tracy