• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reader plugin gone since Safari 12?

New Here ,
Sep 23, 2018 Sep 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I upgraded to Safari 12 on mac os, PDFs seem to now always open with preview instead of the Acrobat Reader, i.e. i get only the small button bar shown below instead of the larger one incl. the "print" button to get to ReaderĀ“s printing dialog. Instead, I can only open a local copy and then print.

Bildschirmfoto 2018-09-23 um 12.14.52.png

Reader is set as the default application for PDF, and the hints about enabling the plug-in do not apply, since there is no Acrobat Reader plugin shown in Safari anymore (I think it was there, but did not actively enabled or disabled it since it always just worked).

How can I check whether the Acrobat plug-in is installed? Re-installating Reader did not help.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 25, 2018 Sep 25, 2018

Hi Thegos,

As correctly mentioned by George that Adobe does not have control over the Safari web browser and the plug-ins allowed by them to view the PDF.

The Acrobat/Reader plug-in for Apple Safari is based on Netscape Plug-In API (NPAPI), which is supported only till Safari version 11. In Safari 12, support for NPAPI plug-ins is removed, and hence the current Acrobat/Reader plug-in will not work. For detailed information, please refer to help articles Display PDF in browser Adobe Acrobat, Acrobat Reader

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Sep 23, 2018 Sep 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not think Adobe has control over the Safari web browser and what plug-ins are allowed and they do not work on updating the viewer of the developing Operating Systems until the final production version is released to the public, Then they can review the new OS and see if the Reader Plug-in can be adapted to the new release of the OS.

Many developers of OSs are restricting JavaScript or the Adobe Reader plug-in in favor of their PDF reader application.

The Acrobat PDF plug-in relies heavily on JavaScript for their forms and many software developers consider JavaScript to have many security issues. Adobe has their implementation of JavaScript very well isolated from the operating system or sandboxed but these outside developers still do not want to allow the Adobe Reader plug-in in favor of their version. Have you contacted Apple about this issue?

Apple has big problems for several years with their Preview application and completely ignore the issue and claim it is Adobe's problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 25, 2018 Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Thegos,

As correctly mentioned by George that Adobe does not have control over the Safari web browser and the plug-ins allowed by them to view the PDF.

The Acrobat/Reader plug-in for Apple Safari is based on Netscape Plug-In API (NPAPI), which is supported only till Safari version 11. In Safari 12, support for NPAPI plug-ins is removed, and hence the current Acrobat/Reader plug-in will not work. For detailed information, please refer to help articles Display PDF in browser Adobe Acrobat, Acrobat Reader

Whatā€™s New in Safari - Apple Developer

Our Development and Engineering team is working on it and are still exploring the options that are available for supporting Acrobat/Reader plug-ins in Safari browser.

We will share an update as soon as it is publically available.

Thanks for your time and patience thus far.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2019 Sep 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I have the same problem and have been waiting for solution. I the been a year now since your initial response. Did you find a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines