• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smooth transitions between curved and straight lines?

Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always struggled with this but never got round to finding the solution. How do i avoid those strange optical bumps when joining a curved line to a straight line?

Best way to illustrate the problem is drawing a right angle then adding a rounded corner. Where the new rounded corner meets the straight line the transition between the two is too abrupt and creates an optical bump. It feels like the curvature needs to ease into the straight part instead of changing so abruptly but how do i draw this accurately and consistently across different curves and angles?

The red sketch attached is an exaggerated drawing of the bumps i'm seeing.

Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 12.33.23.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

You could try automatic translation on this German blog: https://www.fontblog.de/technik-design-und-erotik-der-ff-din-rundschrift/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pbk,

It looks fine to me, it may be a screen rendering issue.

Is it there at any zoom level (increasing with the level)?

Is GPU on (Ctrl/Cmd+E to toggle)?

Which Anchor Points can you see if you outline the stroke (there should be one at each end of the inner/outer curve)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No definitely not a screen rendering issue. I think this is quite a well known optical quirk when working with curves, i've seen type designers discuss it before. There's even a plug in to help with it (but not for Adobe CC):

https://yanone.de/software/speedpunk/

As the website above says "Taking off in a roller coaster from the flat into a perfect circle loop would brake your spine, as the curvature would infinitely increase from the straight line to a fixed amount of curve speed in the circle."

This is what i'm struggling with, getting the curvature optically right from a straight line to a curve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try them with Perfect Pixel? In some cases that can be helpful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You could try automatic translation on this German blog: https://www.fontblog.de/technik-design-und-erotik-der-ff-din-rundschrift/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines