• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is the user interface font for InDesign CS 6

Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work for a large, publicly-funded concern whose IT department won't allow me to update to the 2017 CC version of InDesign. Am stuck at INDD 2015. Occasionally, I need to open really old files (Creative Suite 4) in InDesign Creative Suite (not cloud) 6. Ever since the latest Windows 10 build (803), the menu text in CS6 comes in totally blurry on my computer. Since Microsoft no longer allows Advanced Display Options in its settings, there is no way I can adjust my computer to compensate for this.

Am thinking that the computer may be MISSING the font that Adobe uses in its interface and need to know what that font is, so I can reinstall it in the system. Yes, have requested updating to CC 2017, and yes, am also going to submit the same issue to Microsoft Windows's user forum. The Windows folks are just as obstinate about not bringing back "Advanced Display" options as my employer is about not updating to a CC 2017 subscription, so let's not go there. 

INDD CS6 interface.pngINDD CC 2015 menu.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Found the source of the problem: It is my computer and Microsoft's newer builds of Windows 10 -- NOT Adobe's problem.

Beginning with Windows 10 Build 1709, users lost the option of making menu and icon text larger in "Advanced Display Settings" without having to scale up the screen resolution higher than 100%. The only way I can make menu text large enough to read in Adobe CS applications is to scale everything at 125%.

Whatever menu fonts Adobe used in the old CS5 and 6 applications look blurry a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS4’s UI did not scale at all well. In fact, even the CC versions don’t scale all that well.

If you actually can get something that old to run, but thankful that the UI is the only issue you’re having.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blurry interface is not sufficient justification to get a Help Desk ticket  to reinstall InDesign CS6, especially since I only use it to open old PageMaker and InDesign CS4 files that CC won't touch. (The CS4 files were NOT saved as IDMLs).

I do have permissions to install fonts, which I need to layout files.

Also, in my answer to Bob Levine's helpful answer, this problem started after our organization installed Windows 10 Build 1709 (The rest of the world is now now on Build 1803).  Build 1709 — and 1803 — took away Advanced Display Settings, an option that allowed users to change the size of menu text and icon text without having to change the scaling of the display. THAT's when the problems started.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, 1809 makes major strides in UI scaling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know for my home computer. But work computer was just moved up to 1709.

I suspect my work computer has a version of whatever interface font Adobe uses -- that is not compatible with the current Windows build. That's why I originally asked what specific User Interface font Adobe used in CS6 applications.  Wanted to see if installing either a TrueType version of the font or a more current OpenType version would solve the blurry appearance. The computer is licensed to run a number of Adobe fonts that most Windows users may not have. Have tried running Windows 10's Adjust Clear Text Type control panel without success.  Also have tried the computer with different brands of computer displays. No luck there, either.

INDD CS6 interface.pngINDD CC 2015 menu.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would turn it into a complete mess. Blurriness is something you’ll just have to live with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2018 Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Bob.

You're absolutely right, any attempt on my part to intervene will create a big mess.

I believe this to be a Microsoft Windows problem,  not an Adobe problem. Have the same issue  running Windows on a Virtual Desktop Interface.* (*An emergency backup solution that uses virtual  online versions of Microsoft Office Apps if  teleworking and unable to get onto our VPN. The only Adobe app that runs on it is Acrobat Reader ).

Settings were migrated to the current computer,  which uses Windows 10, from an old computer that used Windows 7.  That's a terrible way to migrate.  This is probably what led to the current problem. Then, when we switched to an Enterprise version of Windows from an individual-machine  Windows 10 Pro version, the techs  re-imaged this computer, instead of simply "flattening and reloading."

Windows 10 on this computer prefers the User Interface font Segoe UI. I forget what we used as an interface font in Windows 7 on the old computer, but chances are it is an old TrueType font that should have been replaced with an OpenType font.  I know formatting. I don't know computer administration and am not going to try to practice it.

Thanks for responding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried resetting the preferences, or uninstalling and reinstalling?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Found the source of the problem: It is my computer and Microsoft's newer builds of Windows 10 -- NOT Adobe's problem.

Beginning with Windows 10 Build 1709, users lost the option of making menu and icon text larger in "Advanced Display Settings" without having to scale up the screen resolution higher than 100%. The only way I can make menu text large enough to read in Adobe CS applications is to scale everything at 125%.

Whatever menu fonts Adobe used in the old CS5 and 6 applications look blurry at any display scale above 100% on this computer. Could bug Microsoft until turning blue in the face about restoring the ability to size menu text larger without scaling up the entire display, but they won't listen.

Don't have this problem with Photoshop and InDesign CC 2015 -- but my place of work  turned down my request for 2017 CC applications and I am stuck with Illustrator CS5. Wish there were a setting within the Adobe applications to make menu text and icons bigger than the size you've built into it.

Will explore other accessibility settings within Windows.

Thanks for your consideration

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines