5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2018 4:59 PM by WobertC

Cannot open zipped backup catalogues in LR 6.14 on Mac

specialagentxj7

I save a backup catalogue every time I exit.  Now I want to use one, but LR will not open it.  When I upgraded to LR 6 it started saving the backup catalogues as zip files, and it does not recognize them. The older backup catalogues from LR 4 are clearly visible on my Mac, but the newer ones are grayed out and have .zip file extensions.  I cannot even grab them and unzip them.

I'm trying to find a book that I was working on as an unsaved book. For some reason it disappeared and all I have is a collection of pictures assigned one per page. All my sorting, captions, edits, etc. are gone.

• 1. Re: Cannot open zipped backup catalogues in LR 6.14 on Mac
          F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You need to manually unzip them first using the OS or any zip tool. LR does not have the ability to unzip it.

• 2. Re: Cannot open zipped backup catalogues in LR 6.14 on Mac
            WobertC Adobe Community Professional

When you are able to open the Catalog from the backup version, I suggest you follow these steps-

1. From the opened Backup catalog- Select the "Saved Book Collection" in the Collection panel (with the 'Book' icon),

2. Right-click on the Saved Book Collection and choose- [Export this Collection as a CATALOG]

3. Give it a temporary name eg. TempBook

4. Close the Backup catalog (or Menu: File>Open Recent,  to do Step 5 automatically, goto Step 6 )

5. Re-open your current working Catalog

6. From the Menu: File > Import from Another Catalog

7. Navigate and select the TempBook.LRCAT  to import the book collection.

Your 'Saved' Book Collection will then be restored in your current catalog..

ScreenShot188.jpg

ScreenShot186.jpg

ScreenShot187.jpg

• 3. Re: Cannot open zipped backup catalogues in LR 6.14 on Mac
              specialagentxj7 Level 1

Yes, this did the trick.  Once I found them buried in Pictures>Lightroom>Backups>2018-06-16 2018 they were self extracting.

• 4. Re: Cannot open zipped backup catalogues in LR 6.14 on Mac
                specialagentxj7 Level 1

These instructions for resurrecting a saved book from a backup catalogue should work.  Unfortunately, it appears I did not save the version I was working on.  I was probably making a mistake by not saving each iteration of the book in progress.  Thanks.

• 5. Re: Cannot open zipped backup catalogues in LR 6.14 on Mac
                  WobertC Adobe Community Professional

I was probably making a mistake by not saving each iteration of the book in progress. 

You really only need to click on the tab [Create Saved Book] once. This creates the "Book" Collection in the Collection panel.

Then you must ALWAYS edit your book design by 'opening' it from the Collection panel and NEVER clicking on the top menu 'Book'.

The [Create Saved Book] tab will not appear again if you open a book from the Collection panel, as your "progress" will always automatically update and save your book editing in this Book Collection.

ScreenShot192.jpg

You can though, as a kind of backup, make a duplicate 'Copy' of a Book Collection in the Collections panel (by a Right-Click and "Duplicate")

ScreenShot193.jpg

it appears I did not save the version I was working on.

This will mean that when you click on the top menu 'Book', Lightroom believes you are starting a new book afresh, and previous edits get lost.

I have made mistakes with Books in the past, and I came up with my workflow for Lr Books- (if you have time to read )

1. Start a new Book by creating a ‘Standard’ Collection of chosen images. Select all the images in this collection.
                  2. Go to the Book Module (Top-right Module Menu)
                  3. Set Book Preferences from the top menu- “Book > Book Preferences”
                  4. In Book Preferences- Set “Zoom to Fit”- on.  (Can always ‘Zoom to Fill’ later if wanted)
                  5. In Book Preferences- Turn off “Start new books by autofilling”, and close Book Preferences dialog.
                  6. Immediately, Create a “Saved Book”  by- CTRL+S, or Click the Tab [Create Saved Book], or from the [Book] Menu.
                  7. Name your Book design as you want it to appear in the Collection Panel.
                  8. In the [Auto Layout] Panel click the Drop-down menu for [Preset:]
                  9. Edit your preferred “Auto Layout Preset” (One Photo per Page,…. Etc) Save this preset.
                  10. Make your book design from the images on the film strip- ‘Manually’ by adding pages and images one-by-one, OR- press [Auto Layout] in the Auto Layout Panel.
                  11. Exit the Book Module, back to Library Grid view.
                  12. You can DELETE the ‘Standard’ Collection used to start the new book- you may never use this again!
                  13. *ALWAYS RE-OPEN YOUR BOOK design by clicking the WHITE ARROW at the end of the “BOOK Collection” in the Collections panel. (It is shown with an icon that looks like a Book!) or simply Double-Click on the Saved Book Collection.
                  14. To Add more photos to your Book- Exit the Book Module to the Library Grid view, Select one or more photos, and drag them onto the “BOOK Collection” in the Collections Panel. Re-open the book as in 13.
                  15. Add your photos to “New” pages in your book (or replace others) by dragging them from the Film-strip (at far end) onto a page.
                  16. NEVER click on [Auto Layout] or [Clear Layout] again, unless you want to start afresh.
                  17. Whenever returning to edit a book - do it as in step 13.