• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Overlay set on pattern-filled layer - disappears entirely?

New Here ,
Sep 25, 2018 Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an image open. I added a new layer and filled it with a pattern. The pattern has a transparent background and black text. When I set the blending mode to "overlay" all the text disappears completely. Is it because of the transparent background that this is happening? Shouldn't the text still display?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI

Could you post a screenshot with all the pertinent panels opened, also if you could upload the pattern that you are using

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture.JPG

Sorry, not sure how to upload the pattern I'm using (I don't use Photoshop really ever) - but this is the tutorial I followed:
Add A Copyright Watermark Pattern To An Image With Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing wrong with the tutorial, but I noticed that your background is white, try changing the blend mode to something like multiply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that works. I suppose it doesn't really make much of a difference, Normal and Multiply look the same to me. I'll just adjust the opacity and be on my merry way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Overlay blend seem  to work strange when you first use it you don't expect it to work the way it does because of its name is  overlay.

You will find it a great blending mode to use when you are working on layer mask with Black and white paint with brush blending mode set to Overlay.  The Current Layer mask White and Black can not be painted on they will stay black an if yor try to paint on those area Onle the mask gray areas cam be painted on.  If you turn part of the gray are black or white A quick undo will recover the gray.   The layer mask gra area is where all the suddle masking is done.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines