Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CEP extension not loaded if being installed with shortcut

New Here ,
Sep 26, 2018 Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I created a custom extension panel that I installed in the following directory, for instance myPanel is the extension folder:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\CEP\extensions\myPanel

When I open Photoshop, the extension does show up in the Window->Extensions menu and the panel works well.

For installing custom scripts that I developed, I created a shortcut in the Photoshop Scripts directory that basically points to a specific folder in which I put those scripts, for instance custom_scripts is the shortcut:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2018\Presets\Scripts\custom_scripts

When opening Photoshop, the application will get all the scripts that are linked to the shortcut. I use the same method for reading custom actions, brushes, file formats and plug-ins, and this works fine.

As such, I was thinking to install my custom extensions the same way, but the panel I created is no longer listed in the Window->Extensions menu when being linked to a shortcut, for instance custom_extensions is the shortcut that points to another directory which includes myPanel folder:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\CEP\extensions\custom_extensions

Therefore, I was wondering if linking extension files with shortcuts was simply not supported and so if the files really need to be in the ..\CEP\extensions directory for being properly loaded, or if signing the extension will change something and help being loaded with a shortcut or it doesn't really matter?

Thanks for your help,

Jeremy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 01, 2018 Oct 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

I believe the extensions need to be installed in the correct folder. Have you read this section of the CEP cookbook? That said, I believe some people have had success putting symbolic links in the extension directory, at least on Macs, I don't know about Windows. (Symbolic links can be a bit risky, certain changes tend to break them.)

You could try signing it, but I don't that's the issue. Check out our guide that includes signing instructions if you're not sure how.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2018 Oct 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I did find out where the extensions files needed to be installed so that they were able to load in Photoshop correctly.

However I did not really find relevant info regarding installing them with symbolic links though but it's not a big issue after all since I ended up copying them locally automatically, so I'm good with what I wanted to achieve.

I was just curious to know a bit more about this but it's all good, thanks for your response.

Jeremy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 04, 2018 Oct 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think the issue is that shortcuts are not supported, but 'symbolic links' are. These do exist on Windows, but are rarely used. I use this trick to install my extension development in progress without copying them into the ...\extensions folder. The MKLINK command does that for you.

For some hints, check out

CEPSparker/localDebugInstall.bat at master · zwettemaan/CEPSparker · GitHub

It should give you some pointers...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines