6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2008 2:20 PM by

Basic questions

I am new to flex. I have experience with cf 7. I have the following questions. I appreciate if you can answer as I have very tight deadlines.

I am modifying an existing application and fixing the bugs. The application back end is sql server.

1) I have installed cf 8 and flex 2.2 on my workstation. I need to connect to a remote database which is sql server. How can I do it?
      2) How difficult is it to set up the working environment? If I get the code can I be able to place it on my local system and can access just like I access any cold fusion applications?
      3) Any other links or guidelines to help me get started are appreciated.

Thank you
        • 1. Re: Basic questions
          ntsiii Level 3
          1) use RemoteObject in flex to communicate with CF. Use CF to query the database, and return the data to Flex.
          2) ?? Use Flex Builder

Is this an existing Flex app? You will need to look at how it is communicating with CF.

Tracy
          • 2. Re: Basic questions
            Yes, this is an existing app. I have modify some screens. Can you please help me with the following.

1) How can i know how flex is communicating the CF?
            2) Is the application is an executable? If i need to update an existing page, what will be the page extention?
            3) I have differenciate the user role. If the user belong to admin group i need to enable or disable some buttons. How can i do it?
            4) Are there any samples to use the tab's
            5) Are there any samples step by step projects that i can use to learn more about flex?

Thank you.
            • 3. Re: Basic questions
              Garyl Woolworth Level 1
              Inside of Flex Builder go to Edit->Find in Files for containing text type "RemoteObject" for file name patterns set it as "*" and for scope leave it as Workspace. Click search and see if you have any results. If you do then that is how currently Flex is attempting to connect to CF. If there are no results try the same method except search for "HTTPService". The way remoting works for RemoteObject and HTTPService is pretty different so I would suggest finding out which one of those it is first before doing to much research. If you there are no results for either of those searches, then either A) there is no remoting setup, or B) it's done in a manor that should probably be re-written to get things up to date.

2) Is the application is an executable? If i need to update an existing page, what will be the page extention?
              This will depend on the type of remoting currently implemented.

3) I have differenciate the user role. If the user belong to admin group i need to enable or disable some buttons. How can i do it?
              This would be done on the result method of the remoting which you can then do myButton.enabled = true/false; depending on result.

4) Are there any samples to use the tab's
              By tab's are you talking about the TabNavigator?

5) Are there any samples step by step projects that i can use to learn more about flex?
              Yes, however from the sounds of it you'll probably want to learn step by step remoting with flex rather then step by step flex. This is also then dependant on the type of remoting that is currently implemented.
              1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Basic questions
                Thanks a bunch for taking time to explain.

I will try the steps specified by you.

The data is displayed on different tabs based on the nature of the data. User should not move to next tab until the user finishes the required data on the first tab. The final tab has the finish button. I wanted to know if there are any samples out there to learn on how to use the tabs.

Thanks.
                • 5. Re: Basic questions
                  ntsiii Level 3
                  As Kaotic asked, "By tab's are you talking about the TabNavigator?"

You are working with an existing app, right? Look at the code. there are many ways to implement a "tab" in flex.

Your questions are too general for us to help with much. Look into the quick starts and tutorials on the Adobe Flex support site.

Tracy
                  1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Basic questions
                    Thank you. I will go through the Adobe documents.