6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2018 3:54 PM by Kevin-Monahan

cc12.1.2 4k performance - consensus?

getho Level 2

Usually with a new release performance issues are ironed out by the first update.  I'm starting to see previews of CC2019, and editing 4k footage is still a nightmare.

I was happily editing on the last version of premiere.  I can't use proxies (because they dont support interpreting footage), I'd have to transcode everything.

Can anyone who frequently frequents this board say whether this is a general problem, or is it a select few who are suffering?

Footage will play without dropping frames for a while, but when I scrub PP often just stops updating the window.  Poor thing, if you leave it for 5-10 seconds it gets it's breath back and you can then play on from that point.

This would be more bearable if the CC2017 version hadn't worked.  But it did, now it doesn't.

(ps 5820k, 64gb ram, gtx1080ti, footage on nvme, drive, cache on ssd system drive).

EDIT:

Tested the same media in cc2017 and yes playback vastly better, no dropped frames at full res, scrubbing better, much reduced wait time after scrubbing.

• 1. Re: cc12.1.2 4k performance - consensus?
          R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I wish there was something that seemed a logical answer. From quite a bit of experience on my own rig, 6 core 32GB RAM and a 1060 with SSD OS drive, an Nvme and four other SSDs, I'm handling 4k ok.

Some aren't,  but most are. But there's some monster rigs struggling and some old crud running fine.

Makes no consistent sense to me. The in-general part sure. In general most are doing ok. It's the bizarre part of some medium or hefty rigs choking while some guy's 4 core i5 works great I don't get.

Neil

• 2. Re: cc12.1.2 4k performance - consensus?
            getho Level 2

ho hum. even resolve is doing a better job now than premiere. That's new. I'll try adobe tech support, and then customer services.

• 3. Re: cc12.1.2 4k performance - consensus?
              R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

R 15 runs a little slower on mine with the same 4k clips than PrPro. Which gets back to my puzzlement ... why the differences computer-to-computer?

Neil

• 4. Re: cc12.1.2 4k performance - consensus?
                Michael Stehly Level 2

I have no problems editing, scrubbing  or playing 4k videos in Davinci Resolve or Adobe Premiere.  Both are the latest versions.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: cc12.1.2 4k performance - consensus?
                  getho Level 2

@michael, sorry I should have specified: h.264 long gop. GH5 media is a bit slower but usable, but that is mostly all-i. (HAving said that even the long gop 8-bit handles better than the h.264 DJI footage).

• 6. Re: cc12.1.2 4k performance - consensus?
                    Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

getho,

I'm starting to see previews of CC2019, and editing 4k footage is still a nightmare.

That is not possible. There is no release of this software yet. 4K Long GOP footage is difficult to play on any system, that is why we recommend transcoding or using proxies.

Can anyone who frequently frequents this board say whether this is a general problem, or is it a select few who are suffering?

You can let our developers know about this pain point here: Premiere Pro: Hot (2643 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps

Footage will play without dropping frames for a while, but when I scrub PP often just stops updating the window.  Poor thing, if you leave it for 5-10 seconds it gets it's breath back and you can then play on from that point.

Try transcoding the footage. This sounds like typical Long GOP footage playback issues.

This would be more bearable if the CC2017 version hadn't worked.  But it did, now it doesn't.

Was this project created in CC 2017 by any chance? You should not update any project midway through it.

Tested the same media in cc2017 and yes playback vastly better, no dropped frames at full res, scrubbing better, much reduced wait time after scrubbing.

This can depend on the media. This was the last version that contained support for QuickTime 32 bit codecs, their components, and their variants.

Hope this info is helpful.

Thanks,
                    Kevin