• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transferring files / Replacing old site

Participant ,
Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, I use Dreamweaver CC, and would like to know the best protocol for when completely replacing all the files of an existing website (including new CSS, etc) with a set of brand new files (ie. a brand new site) - but most importantly, without losing any of the new CSS formatting during the process of moving them from the Test folder to the main local site view, ready to upload. 

My new site is currently residing in a Test folder on the old existing site, so needless to say I need to replace the existing local files with the new files, before uploading them to the remote site.   But in the past I have tried various methods of doing this - and sometimes have lost all my CSS formatting during the process (such as by opening the Windows 'folder' view of the Test files (ie. outside of Dreamweaver) and copying the files to the folder where the main local site is located.   The only foolproof method I have found (for my main content files - but which takes forever!) is opening each new file individually, and then Saving it to the local site folder (via File / Save / Save As) - but needless to say, that can take an eternity.  I am sure there must be a method that takes two seconds flat - so thought I would come to the experts and see how you do it.   Appreciate your thoughts and time.

Cheers,

Craig

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 28, 2018 Sep 28, 2018

Did you create a new site definition for the new site?

Move files from local TEST folder to local root folder.  If DW asks you to update links, hit YES.

Delete old files from remote server.

Upload new site files to remote server.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2018 Sep 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you create a new site definition for the new site?

Move files from local TEST folder to local root folder.  If DW asks you to update links, hit YES.

Delete old files from remote server.

Upload new site files to remote server.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 29, 2018 Sep 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks Nancy - no, I never thought of creating a new site definition for the same website address.. I guess I could have even been doing that for uploading direct to the Test folder, while creating the site?    One last thing - should I transfer the files there from within Dreamweaver somehow, or just copy them over via their Microsoft folders?

Cheers,

Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2018 Sep 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Moving files outside DW will not update the link paths for you.  Asset paths will be broken if you do it that way.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines