• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS5 Crashes on File Opens in macOS Mojave

Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2018 Sep 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday, I upgraded my Macbook Air to Mojave and I've run into a major issue: any time I try to open a .psd file, Photoshop crashes instantly.

I'm able to open the program on its own and create new .psd files, but I can't successfully open any existing .psd file, which is very frustrating. I'm able to open non .psd files (i.e. PNG, JPG) in Photoshop with no issue. It seems to be specifically tied to opening .psd files.

I've gone into my Mac's settings, into Settings & Privacy --> Accessibility, and checked the box for Photoshop there, but it hasn't helped. I've also downloaded a free trial of Photoshop CC, and it works fine, but I'd rather use the program I've already paid for, rather than have to pay monthly for a new one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 29, 2018 Sep 29, 2018

I have had the same problem for months until I ran into this solution. Try it. See if it works for you:

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/open-apps-wont-work-mojave-photoshop-3684425/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You can take a look at this to see if it helps, CS5 is 8 years old at this stage and you're trying to run it on a new MAC OS

Known issues - Running Photoshop CC on macOS 10.14 Mojave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw this and, unfortunately, it doesn't help. Also, I realize my version of Photoshop is super old, but it worked (without issue) in High Sierra, so it's frustrating that it no longer functions one iteration later. Maybe it was the straw that broke the camel's back...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best to revert your OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feels... extreme. Trying to reinstall Photoshop now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an early warning. Most old apps will stop completely in the massive changes next year in Mac OS 10.15.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I uninstalled CS5 and tried to reinstall it, and I got an error message basically saying it's no longer supported.

Time for Plan B...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey- I'm having the same problem. I have CS5 too. Everything works on the creative suite except for Photoshop. I tried reloading it and still doesn't work. Tried to reload my old OS and that was too risky. I would have to erase my entire hard drive and reload from my external had drive (time machine). So now I am having to upgrade photoshop on the icloud upgrade. I have to pay $20.99 a month for the rest of my life. Some Indian guy with marbles in his mouth took my credit card info and now has put me on hold for 1/2 hour so far. All these guys are in India.

UGH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Poinsie  wrote

So now I am having to upgrade photoshop on the icloud upgrade. I have to pay $20.99 a month for the rest of my life.

Photoshop + Lightroom (the Photography Plan) is $10 a month. If you signed up for 20, cancel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Здравствуйте. Подскажите где и как скачать фильтр Extract для Photoshop CS6? На официальном сайте Adobe не смогла найти.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2018 Sep 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the same problem for months until I ran into this solution. Try it. See if it works for you:

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/open-apps-wont-work-mojave-photoshop-3684425/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2018 Oct 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded to MacOS Mojave and then my CS5 Photoshop crashed every time I opened it. Then I read bradb27251197 Sep 29, 2018 7:20 AM POST and performed the directions in the link and WHALA!!!! Photoshop works again. I think its highway robbery to charge $20 a month for a product we may use once or twice a month to touch up photographs...I was sick at my stomach thinking of that...I there's going to be a lot of us that have been limping along dreading the day our CS5 suite no longer works as we paid a fortune for it...but time change but I still think its outrageous what Adobe is doing. BRAD THANKS!!! Your workaround was great...when I initially saw "take control of" verbiage I said heck no but I said heck yes one I realized the workaround works! LOL Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2018 Oct 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Photographers Plan, which includes Photoshop and Lightroom and upgrades as they become available, costs around $10 a month.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2018 Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Brad!  Your suggestion is the only one that worked.  There is no need to reinstall the old OS or dedicate a second computer to Photoshop CS5 with an old OS.  To reiterate the proper procedure once again: go to System Preferences, Security & Privacy, Accessibility, and make sure the Photoshop CS5 box is checked.  I don't know why this method failed for soulpopped, but I recommend that s/he go back and make sure the box is checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2018 Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked! Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It failed for me also

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked! THANK YOU SO MUCH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign in CS5.5 does not seem to work using this trick. I'm on a 2018 Macbook Pro, running Mojave. Program launches but crashes shortly after, and can't create any new projects. Have tried running the package contents for the patch to v7.5.3 through the terminal to update. Haven't had luck getting this working. Am seeing

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000020

Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

similar to the image in the Macworld tutorial explaining how to bypass the error in Photoshop. There is no warning about running a 32 bit app. Has anyone figured out a solution that doesn't require paying Adobe's CC subscription fee?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign CS5.5 is not supported by Adobe running under Mojave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's irrelevant. Regardless of whether or not it has official support, there may be a way to get it functioning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good luck, I hope your InDesign work isn't mission critical!

Post your issue in the InDesign forum if you want another opinion and see what the other guys say: InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link. I found a solution when looking through an old thread on the forum. Auto-hide menu bar must be disabled in general system preferences to have the application launch a single time. Auto-hide menu bar can then be re-enabled... it must only be disabled for the first successful launch of the application. Weird. I'm glad to have a solution. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you be more specific about this auto-hide menu bar?  I don't see it in Preferences-General settings.  On the left side of preferences, there is a list of categories, General..Interface.. and so on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to what jzkaraphas noted, I had to allow PhotoShop full access to Control My Computer under Security & Privacy.  Thanks again for your post; this seems to be working!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines