1 2 Previous Next 71 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2018 7:25 AM by ccclapp

Nikon Z7 Raw

家文朱47136724 Level 1

Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC can not open Nikon Z7 RAW files.....

• 1. Re: Nikon Z7 Raw
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

The Nikon Z7 was announced on 8/23, one day after LR 7.5 was released. In the US, it's available for pre-order from Amazon but won't ship until 11/30.  Adobe usually waits until a new Nikon or Canon model is available in the US before adding raw support.    Since a new version of LR is released every 8 weeks on average, that means LR 7.6 is likely to come out 10/17, well before the Nikon Z7 is available in the US.  So the Z7 will be supported no earlier than LR 7.7, likely mid-December.  

See Re: Timing of Lightroom releases

• 2. Re: Nikon Z7 Raw
            mediafotografie Level 1

...no, the Z6 will ship at the end of november - the (more important) Z7 is still shipping since this week.

• 3. Re: Nikon Z7 Raw

the (more important) Z7 is still shipping since this week.

Who in the US is shipping it this week?  Do you have a link?  As linked above, Amazon isn't shipping it until 11/30:

• 4. Re: Nikon Z7 Raw
                mediafotografie Level 1

I think Amazon isn't a good example here, just look at the large professional dealers like B&H or Adorama:

B&H now shipping Nikon Z7 cameras to existing pre-orders - Nikon Rumors

• 5. Re: Nikon Z7 Raw
                  Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

To go along with the above, B&H has it in what they are listing it at "Limited Availability" which mean they may or may NOT have any to ship to you.

From the wording in your posts it sound like you may not be in the USA. So for you, in whatever country you are in, it might or might not be available at this time.

In any event the current version of LR does NOT support that camera. Whether it will be included in the next LR Update no one knows.

• 6. Re: Nikon Z7 Raw
                    D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Actually the Z7 is in the stores now, here in Norway. I can go and buy one off the shelf today. Release date was September 27.

That said, Lightroom support from day one would only have been possible if Nikon supported the open DNG file format. But they don't, instead treating their NEF formats as proprietary. The Camera Raw engineers have to actually buy a camera and then reverse-engineer the files to provide support, create camera profiles and so on.

So blame Nikon for the wait.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Nikon Z7 Raw

mediafotografie  wrote

I think Amazon isn't a good example here, just look at the large professional dealers like B&H or Adorama:

B&H now shipping Nikon Z7 cameras to existing pre-orders - Nikon Rumors

Why would you think the BIGGEST Retailer, Online or other, in the World wouldn't be a good example.

• 8. Re: Nikon Z7 Raw
                        D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Let's not argue over that. The Z7 is on the street now.

• 9. Re: Nikon Z7 Raw

B&H says "New Item - Released in Limited Qty...on a first-come-first-served basis", Adaramo says "Coming Soon...expected in a few days".  Nikon Rumors said B&H started shipping 9/27 to existing pre-release orders.  If Adobe gets theirs in a day or two, they'll have 2.5 weeks to get raw support in the expected 10/17 release of LR -- otherwise it will likely be in the expected mid-December release.

Note that historically, only 45% of new Nikon models get raw support in the LR release following the announcement: Re: Timing of Lightroom releases.  Given there's only two weeks until the expected release of LR 7.6, I'll bet lower odds here.

• 10. Re: Nikon Z7 Raw
                            21frogs Level 1

I already have one, picked up from my camera shop on 9/27, so this is a really stupid argument.  Let's return to the question of RAW support for the camera

• 11. Re: Nikon Z7 Raw

I already have one, picked up from my camera shop on 9/27

Which country and city?  (The Adobe camera raw team is in the US.)

• 12. Re: Nikon Z7 Raw
                                21frogs Level 1

Dallas TX, USA.  I am not the only one.  Orders from the big online sellers will arrive Monday or Tuesday.  Adobe could do us all a favor by just saying "We are working on it and expect to have an update available on ??/??/????

• 13. Re: Nikon Z7 Raw
                                  Todd Shaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Adobe has used pre-production cameras to create the camera profiles before official release. This review appears to indicate Adobe is already doing so (ACR 11 Beta): Raw conversions added to Nikon Z7 pre-production gallery: Digital Photography Review

What's interesting is that the Z 7 production model NEFs I downloaded  import and open in LR 7.5 on my Windows 7 system. The Profile initially shows as Camera_Standard with error message 'Profile Missing.' If I select another profile then all of the profiles work with no error message displayed. It looks like Nikon Z 7 is also using 'Built-In' lens profiles (see below). I can't find any 'Nikon Z 7' named camera profiles on my system so it's a mystery how this is working even partially.

Z7 in LR 7.5.jpg

• 14. Re: Nikon Z7 Raw

Adobe could do us all a favor by just saying "We are working on it and expect to have an update available on ??/??/????

Adobe almost never announces ahead of time when the next release of LR is coming out or what will be in it. They follow a very conservative interpretation of what is prudent for public software companies to say ahead of release under SEC regulations and guidance. This has been their practice from the beginning and I think it's very unlikely to change. I'm not justifying Adobe's behavior, just explaining it. Other public software companies are somewhat more liberal in their communications.

So we can only make fairly reliable predictions based on past Adobe's behavior, which I've already posted in this thread.

If you want to provide feedback to Adobe about their communication policies, the best place to do that is in the official Adobe feedback forum: Lightroom Classic CC | Photoshop Family Customer Community . Adobe product developers read everything there (and infrequently respond). They rarely participate in this forum.

• 15. Re: Nikon Z7 Raw
                                      RobertRing Level 1

I have the camera and took some raw test shots only to find my LR Classic CC doesn't support them yet!  I guess I thought for a monthly fee the files would be supported inimically once the new cameras shipped!  Do I get a refund for a month?

• 16. Re: Nikon Z7 Raw

I guess I thought for a monthly fee the files would be supported inimically once the new cameras shipped!  Do I get a refund for a month?

Nope. Adobe's past behavior with respect to new camera models has already been explained in this thread.  See here for how long it typically takes for new-model raw support to appear in LR: Re: Timing of Lightroom releases

• 17. Re: Nikon Z7 Raw

RobertRing  wrote

I have the camera and took some raw test shots only to find my LR Classic CC doesn't support them yet!  I guess I thought for a monthly fee the files would be supported inimically once the new cameras shipped!  Do I get a refund for a month?

What version of LR C CC?

Do you use LR for other cameras you own? If so why do you think Adobe owes you a refund because you bought a just released camera.

• 18. Re: Nikon Z7 Raw

I have the camera and took some raw test shots only to find my LR Classic CC doesn't support them yet!

Can you upload a sample test shot to Dropbox or similar and post the sharing link here? Todd was able to load a supposed "production model" Z7 raw into LR 7.5 (I was too), so out of intellectual curiosity, it'd be good to understand the difference between these two samples. (I'm wondering if the Photographyblog.com's sample is really pre-production.)

• 19. Re: Nikon Z7 Raw
                                              mediafotografie Level 1

you can download Z7 raw files from dpreviews studio comparison scene:

Image comparison: Digital Photography Review

• 20. Re: Nikon Z7 Raw

Todd, that sample file has some curious XMP fields apparently inserted by the firmware:

[XMP]           Creator Tool                    : NIKON Z 7 Ver.01.00

[XMP]           Create Date                     : 2018:09:19 18:17:30.52

[XMP]           Rating                          : 0

[XMP]           Exposure 2012                   : 0.00

[XMP]           Highlight 2012                  : 0

[XMP]           Shadows 2012                    : 0

[XMP]           Luminance Smoothing             : 25

[XMP]           Luminance Noise Reduction Detail: 75

[XMP]           Luminance Noise Reduction Contrast: 0

[XMP]           Color Noise Reduction           : 10

[XMP]           Color Noise Reduction Detail    : 50

[XMP]           Color Noise Reduction Smoothness: 50

[XMP]           Sharpness                       : 40

[XMP]           Sharpen Radius                  : 2.00

[XMP]           Sharpen Detail                  : 25

[XMP]           Sharpen Edge Masking            : 0

[XMP]           Contrast 2012                   : 0

[XMP]           Saturation                      : 0

[XMP]           Camera Profile                  : Camera_Standard

Previous NEFs I've looked at included just CreatorTool and Rating.

• 21. Re: Nikon Z7 Raw

johnrellis  wrote

Todd, that sample file has some curious XMP fields apparently inserted by the firmware:

Sure looks like LR Develop settings! All of the Nikon Z 7 NEFs I downloaded from three different sites have those entries showing using ExifTool and the values vary. Those same XMP settings appear in the Develop module grayed out as if they are "default" settings. So how did they get written to the NEF file? Very bizarre!

Perhaps someone here with a Nikon Z 7 can upload a NEF to Dropbox for examination.

• 22. Re: Nikon Z7 Raw

you can download Z7 raw files from dpreviews studio comparison scene

It's not clear whether those are from their pre-release camera (the article was published 9/28, though their samples gallery is dated 8/23). It would be good to get samples from known post-release cameras.

• 23. Re: Nikon Z7 Raw
                                                      lonny7255 Level 1

Got it Friday...I just shot 60 photos....which look good in the Z7...but I can't open them.  Oh...the humanity!

• 24. Re: Nikon Z7 Raw
                                                        Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

John, Nikon is including Camera raw and Lightroom develop settings in the Z7's NEF files. This is a shocking development. I tweeted this here a while ago: https://twitter.com/JvdLagemaat/status/1044396877666373632

I can't get anyone to confirm but this is clearly a sign of opening up as I can also testament from some other clues that are not public.

• 25. Re: Nikon Z7 Raw

It looks like all of the downloaded NEFs were shot with pre-production v.01 firmware and not v1.0 production firmware. That's why I asked for someone who has recently purchased a retail Nikon Z 7 camera to upload a NEF to Dropbox. I'm guessing the production firmware doesn't put any LR XMP data into the NEF and also why those NEF files won't import into LR 7.5.

• 26. Re: Nikon Z7 Raw

I have some files from a production version and the xmp is still there. The

presence of the xmp doesn’t help the files be supported by Lightroom. The

next version should have support built in but no clue when adobe will

release. Will have to see until my own arrives whether the camera updates

the xmp with the settings in camera (such as profile etc). I ordered at

adorama but forgot they have their holidays right now until October 3 so

that will take a while.

On Sat, Sep 29, 2018 at 5:57 PM Todd Shaner <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 27. Re: Nikon Z7 Raw

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Jao+vdL  wrote

I have some files from a production version and the xmp is still there. The

presence of the xmp doesn’t help the files be supported by Lightroom.

What software version is showing in LR EXIF data? Clearly users replying here with production retail cameras can't open their Z 7 NEFs in LR 7.5. So something is different.

• 28. Re: Nikon Z7 Raw

Z7 files never imported in LR 7 for me! Not even files from the

preproduction version. They only import in the unmentionable version.

On Sun, Sep 30, 2018 at 6:30 AM Todd Shaner <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 29. Re: Nikon Z7 Raw
                                                                  roberti3557497 Level 1

I have a production Nikon Z7 and initially shot some RAW photos with 14bit files.  Those opened in LightRoom CC.  Since I thought 60+MB files were overkill for my initial testing I went to 12bit compressed (which yields 40+MB files).  These DON'T open in Lightroom - Says the Files are corrupted or unsupported. The initial files were transferred by a XQD card reader, the second set via cable from the camera.  Can't imagine that is any consequence, but I'll recopy via the card reader.  If that doesn't work, it's back to 14 bit RAW until LR catches up.  Interestingly, it appears connecting to the computer via cable to download files eats batteries very fast.

• 30. Re: Nikon Z7 Raw

Try uploading the files to the Lightroom web client ( https://lightroom.adobe.com ) instead of importing into CC. CC proper does not support the Z7 yet officially but the web client (unofficially) does and it reads the embedded xmp correctly including the camera profile. I don't know if it supports all the different variations of the format like 12 vs 14 bit but worth a try. The files should sync down and show back correctly in CC and Classic afterwards.

• 31. Re: Nikon Z7 Raw
                                                                      roberti3557497 Level 1

Testing all flavors of RAW - Lossless Compressed, Compressed and Uncompressed, 14 bit or 12 bit, my version of LightRoom CC (Ver 1.5 - 20180807-1548-54800d7 Build) WILL read and support Lossless Compressed (both 14 bit or 12 bit) but none of the other combinations.  FYI.  I happened to get lucky with my first pick and just assumed LR supported the Z& right off the bat.  Unfortunately not so simple.

• 32. Re: Nikon Z7 Raw

>I happened to get lucky with my first pick and just assumed LR supported the Z& right off the bat.  Unfortunately not so simple.

Yeah, the support in 1.5 is only very preliminary. I would expect the next version to fully support the camera. This is pretty typical after release of a new camera. Adobe was actually really quick in this case. Normally it will take 1 or two months after release of a camera before it is supported. If you have an example of a non-supported file, you can private message a link and I will forward to engineers.

• 33. Re: Nikon Z7 Raw

The Nikon Z 7 still isn't showing as a supported camera in ACR, LR Classic or LR CC:

Cameras supported by Camera Raw

Granted users are able to open some NEFs, but just HOW that's being enabled isn't clear. Normally Adobe will announce support for the new model and provide 'Adobe' and 'Camera' named camera profiles. No 'Z 7' named files can found on my system, yet I can open some Z 7 NEFs with LR Classic 7.5 and see them in the Profile Browser. So should users go ahead and edit Nikon Z 7 NEFs with the assumption there will be no issues with those edits in the next version that "officially" supports it?

My suggestion would be to hold off on extensive editing work until Adobe makes an official announcement concerning Z 7 support.

• 34. Re: Nikon Z7 Raw
                                                                            jamesf89025314 Level 1

I have my Z7 from Amazon. It arrived yesterday. Amazon may not be shipping new orders for a while but it most definitely is already shipping Nikon D7 cameras.

• 35. Re: Nikon Z7 Raw

I have my Z7 from Amazon. It arrived yesterday. Amazon may not be shipping new orders for a while but it most definitely is already shipping Nikon D7 cameras.

They must have received their allocation from Nikon, since it's now shown as In Stock and available for overnight shipping:

• 36. Re: Nikon Z7 Raw

Amazon doesn't have the kit with the FTZ adaptor nor does it have standalone bodies. All show 1-4 weeks. I would guess that if you order the bundle with just the 24-70 it will actually turn out backordered too. You should probably not buy this thing without the FTZ and probably everybody bought a bundle including the FTZ which is why all those are backordered. I ordered mine (body + FTZ) from one of the big NY stores two days after the announcement and it is backordered!

• 37. Re: Nikon Z7 Raw
                                                                                  jamesf89025314 Level 1

That's a shame. Guess I was lucky by getting my pre-order in early. Got the Body/24-70s/ FTZ yesterday. Barely getting it set up now, though. For people posting about processing files, there is always Nikon's own Capture NX-D, which has Z7 support, and can export TIFFs to use in LR and PS. I know that is an extra step, but it should be usable. If I remember correctly it can do batch processing/ exports, but it's been years since I needed it. Again, haven't take a shot yet.

Nikon | Download center | Capture NX-D

• 38. Re: Nikon Z7 Raw
                                                                                    stuartc74833212 Level 1

They have it, I saw the kit with 24-70 available yesterday morning and ordered for overnight delivery. It came this morning, All is quite wonderful and LR opened the raw files. I just did some quick tests, nothing at all comprehensive but all looks grand.

• 39. Re: Nikon Z7 Raw
                                                                                      MickeyL62 Level 1

I am in the US ( NY) and I received mine from Unique Photo, also in the US (NJ) this previous Monday October 1, 2018.

1 2 Previous Next