8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2018 11:07 AM by rodneyb56060189

Simplest way to view V1 & V2 simultaneously?

SMwesley Level 1

I'm editing a show that was shot on two cameras. The assistant editor organized the entire project and already synced everything (audio was separate), as well as proxying all of the clips for me (from 4k to 1080). Each location (there are roughly 10) has been organized into its own sequence, with camera 1 on V1, and camera 2 on V2, and then camera audio taking A1-A8 and the separate lavs on A9 - A12.

I'm used to editing in multicam, but I've never actually set it up myself on Premiere, only Avid. So, now that this has already been set up and organized in this fashion, what is the best way to handle this? I simply do not have the time to start over from scratch creating the multicam sequences separately and having to figure out how to sync the audio, etc. I am hoping there is a simple way to accomplish this knowing that I have 10 sequences that have everything already synced, with V1 and V2 that I want to view simultaneously. Any ideas on how I can easily achieve this? Currently it is really time-consuming to click and unclick the Eye icon to see what the other camera angle offers. Thanks very much!

• 1. Re: Simplest way to view V1 & V2 simultaneously?
          R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you tried right-clicking in the program monitor and selecting "enable multi-cam"? I think that is the process there, but I'm on my phone and can't check at the moment.

Neil

• 2. Re: Simplest way to view V1 & V2 simultaneously?
            SMwesley Level 1

Well the problem is the clips are not set up as multi-cam, they are just laid in as V1 and V2, so that doesn't work unfortunately. I was hoping there was some sort of option where I just lasso the clips and right click and "create multi-cam" or something, but it doesn't seem that easy.

• 3. Re: Simplest way to view V1 & V2 simultaneously?
              Meg The Dog Adobe Community Professional

Simplest way to do this if you do not have the clips prepared as a true multicam is to do it the old way - the way it was done on NLE's before they added multicam functionality (and some - such as myself) - still use today:

Using the Motion Controls, scale the clip on V1 down to 50% and move it left to the horizontal edge of frame. Now scale the clip on V2 down to 50% and move it the right hand side of frame.

Now when you play the timeline, you will see the two clips running side by side and what I do I blade cut sections out for the rough cut so that I end up with a checkerboard timeline. Once I have the rough cut done, I remove the Motion effects from the clips, they center up and play through and do the fine trimming.

MtD

2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Simplest way to view V1 & V2 simultaneously?
                Trevor_Asq Level 4

String out your created sequences into one big sequence as nests, select all, right click & enable multicam. All the source sequences will now be multicam clips.

danger is how you treat the audio- I always edit the audio unnested as flattening multicam audio is unpredictable at best.

Often I’ll use the old school method with multicam too - dupe the multicam clips in the timeline, switch v2 to cam2 etc and add PIPS to create a multi viewer. Edit that way for editorial and collapse down when doing the camera cut pass.

Advantage (over non multicam clips) is that the cut can easily be revised. Advantage (over multicam viewer method) is that it takes up less screen real estate.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Simplest way to view V1 & V2 simultaneously?
                  rodneyb56060189 Level 4

what a cool idea, MegDog. I will try that in future ( the split screen thing ). I think I would do the cuts and use copy paste to put them up on v3 and v4 and not delete the cuts on v1 and v2. Like, if you have a slider set up with 2 cameras on it (one tight and one medium lens) sharing a slate, you wouldn't wanna miss out on a 'reaction' shot or something that is like 'stacked' on top of each other. If that makes sense. But what a cool idea about screen !  That woulda saved me tons of time in the past, with 4 cameras in use.

Thanks

• 6. Re: Simplest way to view V1 & V2 simultaneously?
                    SMwesley Level 1

Nesting has worked flawlessly - this is definitely the best way to do this. Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated!!

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Simplest way to view V1 & V2 simultaneously?
                      R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Great setup there Trevor!

• 8. Re: Simplest way to view V1 & V2 simultaneously?
                        rodneyb56060189 Level 4

I love threads like this, cause it makes me think and imagine how to solve multiple problems. Even if I never have to actually 'use' the suggestions, at least I've learned something I MIGHT be able to use later. Is FUN !