2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2018 11:43 AM by dj_paige

Can not move files to my external hard drive

elenah73117741

I used to be able to drag and drop folders and files from my hard drive to my external hard drive within Lightroom. Now when I drop the files into my external hard drive it says the file could not be created. Help!Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 10.47.21 AM.png

• 1. Re: Can not move files to my external hard drive
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi elenah73117741,

Sorry that you cannot drag/drop images from internal to external drive within Lightroom.

I have a couple follow up questions to better understand the issue:

• Which version of Lightroom are you using?
          • Are you able to copy paste images from internal to external drive outside Lightroom?

The error message basically refers to permissions related issues while moving the images over to the external drive.

Thanks,

Akash

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can not move files to my external hard drive
            dj_paige Level 10

This is a permissions problem, wherever you are trying to create this folder, you do not have WRITE permission in your operating system.

Another issue is that people report serious bugs on occasion when trying to move photos from one disk to another inside of Lightroom, and so the very strong recommendation is to move the photos a different way, using your operating system then reconnecting inside of Lightroom. The instructions to do this are in this document, scroll down to the section entitled "Part 2 — Updating Folder Location".

3 people found this helpful