5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2008 11:56 AM by johnmccallum

External Link to Word document question

Versifier146 Level 1
      Hello, fellow RoboHelpers!

I have a quick question that I am hoping someone can answer for me. :-)

I am using RoboHelp X5 and use Microsoft HTML Help (.CHM) as my file output. I would like to link a Word document to one of my topics, so when a user clicks the link, they will be prompted to open/save the Word document.

The following are the steps I use to do this:

1) I type the text that I want the to use for the hyperlink, highlight it, and select the Hyperlink tool (or press CTRL+K).
      2) In the Hyperlink dialog box, I select "File" from the "Link To:" section and select my Word document.
      3) I select "Yes" to add the Word document to my project folder.
      4) In the Hyperlink diaglog box, I select OK, and the link has been created.
      5) I generate my Help project and test the link.
      6) When I click the hyperlink, I receive a "File Download - Security Warning" box asking me if I want to Open or Save the Word document.

Problem #1 -- it appears that I can save the Word document by clicking "Save" without any problems, but clicking "Open" does not open the Word document in Microsoft Word. Why?
      Problem #2 -- The warning box displays three criteria: the file name, what type of file it is, and "From". I have issues with the "From" line. While the .CHM file is attempting to call the Word document from within the .CHM file, which is what I expected it to do ... the path is, well, ugly looking :-P

mk:@MSITStore:C:\Program%20Files\RoboHelp%20Office\
      RoboHTML\HTMLMicrosoftHTML\VRHelp.chm::/ICBA.doc

Is there any way that I can clean up this path? If I could at least get rid of that mk:@MSITStore, that would be a good start.

If anyone has some suggestions, I am all for it!

Thank you very much,

--Jessica
        • 1. Re: External Link to Word document question
          Level 2
          Jessica,

The "mk:@MSITStore:" is the protocol for extracting from a .chm file, much like an "http:" precedes a web address. I'm afraid that just is part of the path if the Word document is embedded in the help file.

I don't know why your "Open" doesn't work. Does it open the document within the browser window, or just not open it at all? Are you adding the Word document as a baggage file? I don't know if RHX5 does this automatically with your steps as I use an older version.

John
          • 2. Re: External Link to Word document question
            Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
            The opening of Word documents is described on my site under Snippets.

• 3. External Link to Word document question
              Versifier146 Level 1
              quote:

Originally posted by: johnmccallum
              Jessica,

The "mk:@MSITStore:" is the protocol for extracting from a .chm file, much like an "http:" precedes a web address. I'm afraid that just is part of the path if the Word document is embedded in the help file.

Ahh, I am sorry to hear that that is the case. Thanks for the information!

quote:

Originally posted by: johnmccallum

I don't know why your "Open" doesn't work. Does it open the document within the browser window, or just not open it at all? Are you adding the Word document as a baggage file? I don't know if RHX5 does this automatically with your steps as I use an older version.

John

Yes, the Word document is added as a baggage file. If I click "Open", the Security Warning box disappears and nothing happens (unfortunately).

In the Hyperlink properties, I realized that I had the link opening in the "same window", so I changed it to display in a "New Window". Now, when I generate/click the link, the Word document tries to open in Internet Explorer (path and all). I get the same message box as before asking me if I want to Open or Save the document. Still, clicking "Open" will not open the Word document in Microsoft Word. When I press Open, the box simply disappears and the path remains in the Internet Explorer address bar. If I select the path in the message bar and press Enter to bring up the Open/Save prompt again, I can save the document ... but I cannot Open it.

A thought just occurred to me while I was typing this: Would the fact that I am using Microsoft Word 2007 have anything to do with why the file will not open? I remember hearing that Office 2007 is not compatible with RoboHelpX5, so perhaps that is why the document is not opening. Still, RoboHelpX5 doesn't seem to have a problem saving the file to your harddrive regardless of the filetype, and the Word document I am working with is a .doc file anyway, compatible with Word 97-2003, not a .docx.

quote:

Originally posted by: Peter Grainge
              The opening of Word documents is described on my site under Snippets.

I took a look at your site, which says:

Opening a Word document

From time to time people ask how to open a Word document from the help.

COMPILED CHM HELP - Rick advises that you can use an HTML Help Shortcut control to accomplish the goal. You simply specify the file name where you would normally specify the application.

I tried to create a HTML Help shortcut by doing the following:

1. I click the Insert Navigation Control button, then HTML Help Controls > Shortcut
              2. In the Button options box, I enter a text description for the button and click Next.
              3. In the Shortcut Selection, the first prompt says, "Program to run when shortcut is activated." I search for my Word document from within my Project Folder, select it, and press Next.
              4. I leave the Font options the way they are.
              5. I click Finish, and the button is created.

When I generate the project and test the button, nothing happens when I click it. If I do specify the application (ex. WINWORD.EXE), Word does open when I click the button. How can I get it to call a specific Word document?

Thanks for your time, guys!

--Jessica
              • 4. Re: External Link to Word document question
                Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
                I doubt Word 2007 is the issue. In this instance we are not talking about RH importing from Word or generating a document.

I think you are trying to beat things that have been tightened by security. CHMs are not my area so I cannot help you.

• 5. Re: External Link to Word document question
                  Level 2
                  Jessica,

Editing in True Code or in the Shortcut control 'Properties,' add a comma and then the filename after "winword."

John