Exit

External Link to Word document question

New Here ,
Jan 28, 2008 Jan 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, fellow RoboHelpers!

I have a quick question that I am hoping someone can answer for me. 🙂

I am using RoboHelp X5 and use Microsoft HTML Help (.CHM) as my file output. I would like to link a Word document to one of my topics, so when a user clicks the link, they will be prompted to open/save the Word document.

The following are the steps I use to do this:

1) I type the text that I want the to use for the hyperlink, highlight it, and select the Hyperlink tool (or press CTRL+K).
2) In the Hyperlink dialog box, I select "File" from the "Link To:" section and select my Word document.
3) I select "Yes" to add the Word document to my project folder.
4) In the Hyperlink diaglog box, I select OK, and the link has been created.
5) I generate my Help project and test the link.
6) When I click the hyperlink, I receive a "File Download - Security Warning" box asking me if I want to Open or Save the Word document.

Problem #1 -- it appears that I can save the Word document by clicking "Save" without any problems, but clicking "Open" does not open the Word document in Microsoft Word. Why?
Problem #2 -- The warning box displays three criteria: the file name, what type of file it is, and "From". I have issues with the "From" line. While the .CHM file is attempting to call the Word document from within the .CHM file, which is what I expected it to do ... the path is, well, ugly looking 😛

mk:@MSITStore:C:\Program%20Files\RoboHelp%20Office\
RoboHTML\HTMLMicrosoftHTML\VRHelp.chm::/ICBA.doc

Is there any way that I can clean up this path? If I could at least get rid of that mk:@MSITStore, that would be a good start.

If anyone has some suggestions, I am all for it!

Thank you very much,

--Jessica

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jessica,

The "mk:@MSITStore:" is the protocol for extracting from a .chm file, much like an "http:" precedes a web address. I'm afraid that just is part of the path if the Word document is embedded in the help file.

I don't know why your "Open" doesn't work. Does it open the document within the browser window, or just not open it at all? Are you adding the Word document as a baggage file? I don't know if RHX5 does this automatically with your steps as I use an older version.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2008 Jan 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: johnmccallum
Jessica,

The "mk:@MSITStore:" is the protocol for extracting from a .chm file, much like an "http:" precedes a web address. I'm afraid that just is part of the path if the Word document is embedded in the help file.

Ahh, I am sorry to hear that that is the case. Thanks for the information!

quote:

Originally posted by: johnmccallum

I don't know why your "Open" doesn't work. Does it open the document within the browser window, or just not open it at all? Are you adding the Word document as a baggage file? I don't know if RHX5 does this automatically with your steps as I use an older version.

John

Yes, the Word document is added as a baggage file. If I click "Open", the Security Warning box disappears and nothing happens (unfortunately).

In the Hyperlink properties, I realized that I had the link opening in the "same window", so I changed it to display in a "New Window". Now, when I generate/click the link, the Word document tries to open in Internet Explorer (path and all). I get the same message box as before asking me if I want to Open or Save the document. Still, clicking "Open" will not open the Word document in Microsoft Word. When I press Open, the box simply disappears and the path remains in the Internet Explorer address bar. If I select the path in the message bar and press Enter to bring up the Open/Save prompt again, I can save the document ... but I cannot Open it.

A thought just occurred to me while I was typing this: Would the fact that I am using Microsoft Word 2007 have anything to do with why the file will not open? I remember hearing that Office 2007 is not compatible with RoboHelpX5, so perhaps that is why the document is not opening. Still, RoboHelpX5 doesn't seem to have a problem saving the file to your harddrive regardless of the filetype, and the Word document I am working with is a .doc file anyway, compatible with Word 97-2003, not a .docx.

quote:

Originally posted by: Peter Grainge
The opening of Word documents is described on my site under Snippets.

I took a look at your site, which says:

Opening a Word document

From time to time people ask how to open a Word document from the help.

COMPILED CHM HELP - Rick advises that you can use an HTML Help Shortcut control to accomplish the goal. You simply specify the file name where you would normally specify the application.

I tried to create a HTML Help shortcut by doing the following:

1. I click the Insert Navigation Control button, then HTML Help Controls > Shortcut
2. In the Button options box, I enter a text description for the button and click Next.
3. In the Shortcut Selection, the first prompt says, "Program to run when shortcut is activated." I search for my Word document from within my Project Folder, select it, and press Next.
4. I leave the Font options the way they are.
5. I click Finish, and the button is created.

When I generate the project and test the button, nothing happens when I click it. If I do specify the application (ex. WINWORD.EXE), Word does open when I click the button. How can I get it to call a specific Word document?

Thanks for your time, guys!

--Jessica

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The opening of Word documents is described on my site under Snippets.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt Word 2007 is the issue. In this instance we are not talking about RH importing from Word or generating a document.

I think you are trying to beat things that have been tightened by security. CHMs are not my area so I cannot help you.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Jessica,

Editing in True Code or in the Shortcut control 'Properties,' add a comma and then the filename after "winword."

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp