Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows Explorer / Source File Issue

Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2008 Feb 01, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I had an issue whereby R/H was unable to locate my .html files after a reinstallation. I eventually resolved this by completely rebuilding my laptop form scratch and then reloading Robohelp.

Now I find that when I try to enter my source files Windows Explorer crashes (urgghh!) when the folder is clicked. There is no error message to report it just falls over.

Note: I can get to the source folder / files from within Robohelp "Open an existing project" the above issue impacts Windows Explorer and image insertion (CTRL G)

As an aside why do we constantly have these / similar issues each time we have to re-install R/H and why is a trouble shooting guide not provided with the installation? Terribly frustrating in our technically advanced age not to be able to insert and installation disc roll your sleeves up and get on with using your new toy ;o)

As always thanks in advance of any advice.
Best. J.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 22, 2008 Feb 22, 2008
Hi All.

Whatever the issue was it is now resolved, resolution? I Wiped and rebuilt my laptop from scratch and am currently slowly but surely loading my tools back on. R/H is currently behaving itself.

Thanks for your help , thoughts and ideas on this one.
Best wishes,
Jayson

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a new project or open one of the supplied projects and make similar changes there. Same problems?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter

Thanks for the quick response, yes this happens in new and old projects.

Best, J

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system are you using and what version of RH?

Are these projects on your hard disk?

Do you have admin rights attached to your logon?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Operating System XP and R/H is V6

Yep goldern of R/H being followed I am on my C:Drive

I had admin rights in order to install R/H but of course they have now been removed.

Thanks, J

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Get them to restore the rights to prove it all works OK then.

In theory you don't need those rights. In practice it seems you do.

RH7 is only an $80 upgrade and I am told things have changed there. Not enough evidence yet to confirm that.

Post back when you have tried after getting the rights restored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ummm resisting the urge to moan again.... Oh to heck with it, why release new versions if nothing seems to have improved. I.e. I have been using this tool for nearly 3 years now and each time I have changed my laptop and reinstalled our friend I have to fix all these installation bugs.

Graham you have been a great help this afternoon, I will try next week (hopefully early in the week) and post my findings.

Have a good weekend. J

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You haven't been using RH6 for three years. RH7 has improved a lot of things and, I am told, the very thing that is troubling you so that seems a good reason to release it.

Who is Graham?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter

Sorry in my inbox as well as on the forum (Graham is a colleague by the way).

And yes you are right and so am I, I have been using Robohelp for 3 years V5 and then V6 (ok i guess I am at the begining of year 4)

Installation of both required some tweeking on my part before I could go ahead and use it.

You mentioned in your post that there wasn't enough evidence to prove V7 changed things however it does resolve the issue I am having. Do we therefore know what my issue is, i.e. is it worth me doing the "control test" in requesting admin rights.

Cheers, J

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2008 Feb 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The forums were down so I couldn't post back sooner. I recalled that some testing I did was in fact with RH6 and that established that you need admin rights to run RH6.

My point about RH7 was that I am assured you do not need admin rights to run it. So if your IT people are iffy about giving you admin rights, for $80, you can upgrade and that should resolve the problem.

Of course, this is all assuming your problems are down to admin rights.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 07, 2008 Feb 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to recall the necessity of opening an RH project at least once with admin rights intact after an install, before being able to disable those admin rights.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

OK been trying all kind of things. Got myself full admin rights and still having issues see below. When I checked if my colleague still had admin rights applied to her account in error she actually does.

When I had full admin rights applied I was able to access both Source and !SSL! level folders in all my projects. However a day later I can get down to Source level but explorer hangs and falls over at !SSL! level – on 1 project another behave perfectly well

Today I now get the error message below – at last something to work with! – so have our support dept looking into it. I will keep you posted (thanks for your help so far Leon / Peter)

The instruction at “0x7c911f6c” referenced memory at “0x2d09f2e0”. The memory could not be “read”

Click ok to terminate the program

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After re-reading your initial post, I was baffled by the statement "the above issue impacts Windows Explorer and image insertion."

I then Googled "instruction 0x7c911f6c" and many of the results talk about spyware; don't know if any of those (help requests in different help forums) would help, but you might check them out.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did Jay get his quote marks to show, and the rest of us get converted code?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are smart quotes, maybe he prepared his reply in Word?

Also single quotes seem to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2008 Feb 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

Still with the Support Department Leon, but your right similar searches on my part turn up memory and registry results, we will see... I will post again as soon as I know anything (hopefully with resolution).

Peter, spot on. Prep'd in word and copied in.

Best, J

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2008 Feb 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All.

Whatever the issue was it is now resolved, resolution? I Wiped and rebuilt my laptop from scratch and am currently slowly but surely loading my tools back on. R/H is currently behaving itself.

Thanks for your help , thoughts and ideas on this one.
Best wishes,
Jayson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2008 Feb 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Who knows? The subtle approach of formatting and starting over usually works though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp