Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recognize duplicate from LR CC

New Here ,
Oct 04, 2018 Oct 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When i'm traveling, i use my D750 with dubble SD slot. I copy files to my iPhone, then import to LR CC to make some minor changes. These files go to the LR server and thus to LR classic.

after copying, i format card numer 1, card 2 keeping all the files. This is importent because otherwise iphone has to import all the files again the next day as i will delete most of them.

Now comes the problem.

Coming home, I want to import all the foto's from SD 2 to LR Classic, but not the ones allready imported and edited during travel, but it does....

is there a solution to this ?

kind regards

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2018 Oct 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom doesn't import duplicates... unless you have this box in the Import dialogue box unticked:

Adobe Community Expert
Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if you edit images or rename them, Lightroom won't import them again (it's all based on metadata).

Adobe Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately that's not completely the case, marer1976​ - if you rename the files, Lightroom won't detect that they are duplicates and will let you import them again, even with "Don't import suspected duplicates checked." 

Wait to rename files until you have imported them all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, Thanks for the replies

I never rename. the only edits i do on my iphone are a little cropping and the usual sliders.

the suspected duplicates is checked thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2018 Oct 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must be missing something here as every time I tried doing what you're saying in all these years I've been using and training Lightroom this has never worked...

I always rename images straight after import and Lr never tries to import them again...

Am I missing something here?

Adobe Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

marer1976​, here's what I did to test this: select a photo in LR. Right-click, Show in Finder/Explorer. Duplicate a file right there in that folder (-2, -copy or some other suffix will be added to the file name). Now drag that duplicate to the grid, which will open the import dialog with it selected. Notice that it doesn't become grayed out, even with "Don't import suspected duplicates" checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Frank, I believe what you are seeing is as expected. LR cc and LR Classic are two separate applications, LR cc stores the original files in the Creative Cloud storage and LR Classic stores the imported original files on your HDD system of your computer.

The LR cc files will be synced to the desktop but are stored in a different location than the ones on the LR Classic.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom is definitely supposed to recognize that they are duplicates whether they came through the CC ecosystem or are directly imported. Unfortunately, it is incredibly bad at recognizing this. It often doesn't even recognize that files are the same if you use a different card reader with the same card. My guess is that they erred on the side of extreme caution with this and wanted to make sure people don't accidentally lose files because Lightroom thought they were duplicates while they are not. So absolutely everything has to be the same for it to know the files are the same. Filename, file creation date and time, capture time, etc. With the cloud thing it is off and on whether it recognizes it but more often than not you end up with duplicates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2018 Oct 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@DdeGannes,   correct, but no.

After sync, i move the files from the catalog to a folder on the SSD  of my macbook (using LR classic CC). so they are on the locas disc aswell. Then I add the rest from the SD out of the camera... and i get duplicates. I got the exact same file twice on the disc.

maybe it is just not working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines