1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 5, 2008 9:02 AM by CatBandit

Recording over several slides

AmandaTSS Level 1
      Hello Everyone!

I am completely new to Captivate 2 and I am having difficulty with a few things.

1. I thought when I recorded a section that section would be one slide. That section ends up being many slides, is there any way to record a large sections that is one slide? Is this a capability in Captivate 3?

2. Is there any way to record without having those bubbles pop-up that say what to click? Can I edit the text that is displayed in the pop-up bubble?

3. When I record the audio for a section and select to have it go over several slides, how do you specify which slides for the audio to go across? It ends up going across all slides that are left in my project.

Thanks,
      Amanda
        • 1. Re: Recording over several slides
          CatBandit Level 3
          Amanda said ...
          quote:

1. I thought when I recorded a section that section would be one slide. That section ends up being many slides, is there any way to record a large sections that is one slide? Is this a capability in Captivate 3?
          If you mean you want multiple actions to appear on a single slide - let's say, the act of opening a file opening the File menu, navigating to the file with Windows Explorer, selecting it, then opening it ... this would constitute at least 3-4 background changes, and each would be a separate slide. But I'm confused, Amanda, because your Topic Subject indicates you have an audio question, and this doesn't seem to fit that description ...

Anyway, if you want all those actions to appear on a single slide, you can use *full-motion* to capture the entire process (press F9 to start and F10 to stop recording). I recommend against this, because it is counter to the designed purpose of use for Captivate, but ... maybe you can tell us why it is important to have a *section* all on a single slide. And maybe you can advise what you define as a *section*?

2) Yes, you can eliminate the automatic text-captions by changing the options selected for recording. They are inserted as a *default* addition when you are recording a *Demonstration*. The text can be edited by going into the application files to make changes, but I wonder if this might be *running before you can walk*, as it can be dangerous changing program files, and is definitely for advanced users ...

3) You can edit the *Timing* of audio by going to the Audio menu and selecting EDIT TIMING. I would eliminate this concern by adding audio to your project as a step in the editing process, as opposed to using the *Narration* option during Recording. Uncheck the *Narrative* election for Recording, then during Editing, go to the first slide requiring audio, and insert the audio there, then move to the next slide, add audio, and so on.

Hope this helps, Amanda. Your question(s) are multiple, and varied in subject matter, so I've just given you over-views and hope that will help you get started. A last though ... watch the tutorial movies included on the Main UI (user interface). There should be some help there, also.

Draw fast, shoot fast, but aim slowly.

Larry