5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2018 10:20 PM by chande a k

Down Scaling 4K video

chande a k Level 1

I have 4K Video of Musical Programme.  If I downscale to HD size in Pemiere What I will be missing in final output

• 1. Re: Down Scaling 4K video
          rodneyb56060189 Level 4

I use old version of PPro, which doesn't have proxy options. So I never did what you want to do. Others will give you specific details I think, when they see your post.

From what I've read here I think the proxy to HD from 4K will let you edit with the smaller size ( so your machine doesn't lag etc. ) and then when you export it uses the original 4k stuff. The only LOSS depends on how you define that with your choice of codec for the export. Typically a highly compressed export will be good for viewing but not so great for re-editing. But that type of LOSS is sorta esoteric and has to do with purpose of export and desire ( small byte count and good for viewing is usually highly compressed ).

Wait for someone who has used the proxy function to give you details... It's a long holiday weekend in U.S. and lots of people are scurrying around doing MINI VACATION type things.

• 2. Re: Down Scaling 4K video
            Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi chande%20a%20k,

I have 4K Video of Musical Programme.  If I downscale to HD size in Pemiere What I will be missing in final output

No content will be missing as long as you scale it down to HD. It will just have a reduced frame size.

Thanks,
            Kevin

• 3. Re: Down Scaling 4K video
              chande a k Level 1

I think I am not clear in my question.

I want to know if 4k video is downscaled to HD and exported HD size....quality wise what I will be missing ?

• 4. Re: Down Scaling 4K video
                R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you export say as 1920x1080, it will have the same pixel quality of any other 1080 file. Period.

Very easy to test yourself. Just select a section and export at the size you'd want to try.

Neil

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Down Scaling 4K video
                  chande a k Level 1

I am already doing since last more than one year and I didn't find any visible detoriation in quality but one of my friend warned me and said you will not get good quality output...  To clear doubt and to know what I will be missing I thought this platform suitable....Thank you for your reply