2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2008 4:43 AM by Newsgroup_User

How to import site

iconz113
      How do I import a site folder, defining the root folder to dreamweaver, enabling it to show up in the files and assets window.

When I go to import site, its ask me for a CTE file or something like that. Where can I find that file or how else can I get dreamweaver to recognize my site.(the site I am importing was created with dreamweaver. Usually when I open dreamweaver it went right to the site, however I had to restore my computer to an earlier backup, but I still have the root folder and its contents on an external hard-drive.
        • 1. Re: How to import site
          Level 7
          > When I go to import site, its ask me for a CTE file or something like that

It's asking for a .ste file. That's the file you create when you *Export* an
          existing site. It seems you lost your *site definition* when you restored
          from your backup. So you will have to create a new site definition, assuming
          you never exported that site.

IOW you're back to square one: Site > New Site...

As soon as you create your new site definition export the site and store the
          resulting .ste file somewhere it won't be deleted by a future restore.
          --

Walt

"iconz113" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gije4p$inr$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > How do I import a site folder, defining the root folder to dreamweaver,
          > enabling it to show up in the files and assets window.
          >
          > When I go to import site, its ask me for a CTE file or something like
          > that.
          > Where can I find that file or how else can I get dreamweaver to recognize
          > my
          > site.(the site I am importing was created with dreamweaver. Usually when I
          > open
          > dreamweaver it went right to the site, however I had to restore my
          > computer to
          > an earlier backup, but I still have the root folder and its contents on an
          > external hard-drive.
          >

• 2. Re: How to import site
            Level 7
            > It seems you lost your *site definition* when you restored from your
            > backup

Which would always happen since those definitions are saved in the Registry.
            It's a good idea to always export your site definitions, as Walt suggests.

--
            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
            Adobe Community Expert
            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
            ==================
            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            ==================

"Walt F. Schaefer" <walt@waltswebworx.com> wrote in message
            news:gijese$jj3$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >> When I go to import site, its ask me for a CTE file or something like
            >> that
            >
            > It's asking for a .ste file. That's the file you create when you *Export*
            > an existing site. It seems you lost your *site definition* when you
            > restored from your backup. So you will have to create a new site
            > definition, assuming you never exported that site.
            >
            > IOW you're back to square one: Site > New Site...
            >
            > As soon as you create your new site definition export the site and store
            > the resulting .ste file somewhere it won't be deleted by a future restore.
            > --
            >
            > Walt
            >
            >
            > "iconz113" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            > news:gije4p$inr$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >> How do I import a site folder, defining the root folder to dreamweaver,
            >> enabling it to show up in the files and assets window.
            >>
            >> When I go to import site, its ask me for a CTE file or something like
            >> that.
            >> Where can I find that file or how else can I get dreamweaver to recognize
            >> my
            >> site.(the site I am importing was created with dreamweaver. Usually when
            >> I open
            >> dreamweaver it went right to the site, however I had to restore my
            >> computer to
            >> an earlier backup, but I still have the root folder and its contents on
            >> an
            >> external hard-drive.
            >>
            >
            >