• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS5 (x64) not recognizing Nvidia GTX1080, but does in system-info

Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a problem with Photoshop recognizing my GPU card.  It *claims* it can't recognize it, BUT when I use system

information in the same program, it does.

So why is PS not recognizing it under the perf tab for openGL?

Of note: System info says:

opengl drawing: enabled.

opengl drawing mode: basic

opengl allow normal mode: false.

opengl allow advanced mode: false.

opengl crash file: not detected.

opengl allow old gpus: not detected.

video card vendor: nvidia corporation

video card renderer: geforce gtx 1080/pcie/sse2

So above, it recognizes the card, and claims opengl drawing is enabled in basic mode.  However,

Normal and advance modes are "not ALLOWED"?  This seems to indicate something is preventing the 1080 from working even though photoshop recognizes it and could use it.

Can someone clarify what might be going on?

Thanks!

Linda

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Saying you don't know if an old copy of Excel can handle a relatively new math cpu, seems off.

Or, how about can my old solitarie game run on a Xeon Gold.  Old software can always take advantage

of the same features if they are in newer hardware -- they can't take advantage of newer features, but GPU's

don't change the old features or all existing programs would stop working.  

Not the opposite is offten a problem -- newer software may need newer features to work optimally on something.

But hardware

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I' don't know if this old version of photoshop can handle this relative new graphic card...

Please first of all try to update your video card driver:

Download Drivers | NVIDIA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Francesco+Della+Peruta  wrote

I' don't know if this old version of photoshop can handle this relative new graphic card...

Why do you think it wouldn't work?  They both use the same standard, the new card supports the same standard

as older cards.  Nvidia seems to think it should be transparent.  That would be similar to taking any software written for

Windows in the past decade and wondering if it would work on current Intel processors (Current versions of the OS

are a different matter, but hardware stays compatible for a long time unless they are different models.

It also misses the point that Photoshop's built-in hardware information system does recognize the card and doesn't

say anything about incompatibility.  It does say that advanced features are not allowed.  That doesn't seem to be a

case of incompatibility, but of some sort of restriction.  That's why I brought up the question here, as it looks like some

features may not be in compatible, but may be disabled or not allowed.  I'm trying to figure out why and how to fix the problem.

It is able to see that basic openGL is supported, and it doesn't say normal or advanced isn't supported, but

that it is _not allowed_.  This indicates something is blocking it from even trying.

Nvidia's support has been working with me on this for the past couple of weeks and they don't know why it

isn't working either -- adobe does mention the GTX1080, specifically, as being supported.  Note, this is

the photoshop is part of a larger suite including Premier, where it was "soft-coded" in a text file

to not accept newer cards -- but adding the names of newer cards seemed to solve the problem

for Premier -- but it doesn't seem that file is present in photoshop.

Have tried 32 and 64 bit.  It does work with CS6, but my testing with CS6 was time-limited and

it wasn't the extended version I have with CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New graphics cards support compatible standards used by older cards.  You don't think about why MS-WORD would not be able to handle a new graphics card or CPU do you?  The same instructions and API that was used for older graphics cards using OpenGL is still present and working in new graphics cards. 

I eventually seemed to find the apparent source of the problem: Adobe.

I reinstalled Windows over itself doing an upgrade to the same version over itself.  That reinstalled Photoshop to its intial state as well.  I then found that Photoshop started working with my newest graphics card (before it was allowed to connect to the internet).  After Adobe's licensing dialed home to verify my license, it stopped working with the graphics card again.  Over time, the registry entries for PS/CS5.1 were deleted so that Photoshop would no longer work.  Now it just generates a crash. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Saying you don't know if an old copy of Excel can handle a relatively new math cpu, seems off.

Or, how about can my old solitarie game run on a Xeon Gold.  Old software can always take advantage

of the same features if they are in newer hardware -- they can't take advantage of newer features, but GPU's

don't change the old features or all existing programs would stop working.  

Not the opposite is offten a problem -- newer software may need newer features to work optimally on something.

But hardware doesn't change old features or nothing would ever be able to upgrade to them.

The problem here, BTW, was that I'd installed a trial version of CS6 PS that overwrote PS5 settings (even though I

hadn't purchased PS6 -- and it didn't have the 3D features I would have needed to upgrade to it.  I kept wondering

when PS6 was going to uninstall itself -- never did.  just wiped out PS5's ability to work with GPU's.  

Reinstalling OS from scratch restored Adobe to pristine when I noticed PS6 getting installed along PS5.

I nuked ps6's progdir and registry -- and CS5-PS hasn't had a problem using even a later card than I had tried before:

GeForce RTX 2080 Ti.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines