2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2018 12:46 AM by Astara_

Photoshop CS5 (x64) not recognizing Nvidia GTX1080, but does in system-info

Astara_ Level 1

I'm having a problem with Photoshop recognizing my GPU card.  It *claims* it can't recognize it, BUT when I use system

information in the same program, it does.

So why is PS not recognizing it under the perf tab for openGL?

Of note: System info says:

opengl drawing: enabled.

opengl drawing mode: basic

opengl allow normal mode: false.

opengl allow advanced mode: false.

opengl crash file: not detected.

opengl allow old gpus: not detected.

video card vendor: nvidia corporation

video card renderer: geforce gtx 1080/pcie/sse2

So above, it recognizes the card, and claims opengl drawing is enabled in basic mode.  However,

Normal and advance modes are "not ALLOWED"?  This seems to indicate something is preventing the 1080 from working even though photoshop recognizes it and could use it.

Can someone clarify what might be going on?

Thanks!

Linda

• 1. Re: Photoshop CS5 (x64) not recognizing Nvidia GTX1080, but does in system-info
          Francesco Della Peruta Adobe Community Professional

I' don't know if this old version of photoshop can handle this relative new graphic card...

Please first of all try to update your video card driver:

Download Drivers | NVIDIA

• 2. Re: Photoshop CS5 (x64) not recognizing Nvidia GTX1080, but does in system-info
            Astara_ Level 1

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Francesco+Della+Peruta  wrote

I' don't know if this old version of photoshop can handle this relative new graphic card...

Why do you think it wouldn't work?  They both use the same standard, the new card supports the same standard

as older cards.  Nvidia seems to think it should be transparent.  That would be similar to taking any software written for

Windows in the past decade and wondering if it would work on current Intel processors (Current versions of the OS

are a different matter, but hardware stays compatible for a long time unless they are different models.

It also misses the point that Photoshop's built-in hardware information system does recognize the card and doesn't

say anything about incompatibility.  It does say that advanced features are not allowed.  That doesn't seem to be a

case of incompatibility, but of some sort of restriction.  That's why I brought up the question here, as it looks like some

features may not be in compatible, but may be disabled or not allowed.  I'm trying to figure out why and how to fix the problem.

It is able to see that basic openGL is supported, and it doesn't say normal or advanced isn't supported, but

that it is _not allowed_.  This indicates something is blocking it from even trying.

Nvidia's support has been working with me on this for the past couple of weeks and they don't know why it

isn't working either -- adobe does mention the GTX1080, specifically, as being supported.  Note, this is

the photoshop is part of a larger suite including Premier, where it was "soft-coded" in a text file

to not accept newer cards -- but adding the names of newer cards seemed to solve the problem

for Premier -- but it doesn't seem that file is present in photoshop.

Have tried 32 and 64 bit.  It does work with CS6, but my testing with CS6 was time-limited and

it wasn't the extended version I have with CS5.